Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Kampala and Kigali. Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen
About the Marketing and Communications Coordinator Role:
Andela is on a mission to empower a generation of technology leaders across Africa. In the past two years, we have recruited over 800 developers, based in Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, who work as full-time engineers for leading technology companies across the globe. We recently launched our first pan-African hub in Kigali, Rwanda in partnership with the Rwanda Development Board.
Andela is seeking an experienced Marketing & Communications professional based in Kigali, Rwanda, to build the Andela brand in Rwanda and broadcast our vision and achievements to the world. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will be responsible for shaping and executing on a multi-faceted internal and external communications strategy that establishes Andelans as thought leaders in the Rwandan technology ecosystem and reinforces Andela’s brand as a leading engineering organization.
Key responsibilities for the Marketing and Communication Coordinator role:
- Lead the Andela Kigali’s Marketing & Communications team in planning and executing a number of strategic initiatives across PR, field marketing and digital marketing to bolster Andela’s presence in Rwanda
- Develop a comprehensive marketing and comms strategy that drives talent acquisition and brand recognition for Andela Kigali
- Build and own relationships with the media: Identify press-worthy stories within Andela, coordinate media interviews with Andela employees and executives, and ensure that press coverage is on-message.
- Design online and offline marketing campaigns (social media, paid advertising, events) to increase applications for the Andela Fellowship and Senior Developers in Kigali
- Create content (press releases, blog posts, features, scripts etc) to educate and build the brand’s awareness in the market.
- Ensure 100% brand consistency in key messaging, internally and externally
The key attributes for this role are:
- Leadership, team building and cross-cultural skills. You have significant experience leading strong teams made up of young and dynamic high achievers. It is also important that you have a demonstrated an understanding of what it takes to build high performance teams and a best-in-class Communications and Marketing department.
- Creative problem solving. You solve problems by creatively engaging with stakeholders both internally and externally with independence and fluency. You develop conceptual frameworks that guide problem solving analysis. You draw sound conclusions based upon a mixture of analysis and experience. You demonstrate content expertise through problem solving from multiple contexts.
- Strategic thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to conceptualise, plan and execute communication strategies that engage Andela’s target audience, while also facilitating increases in engagements and impressions generated.
- Operational excellence. Each department in Andela operates with initiatives that drive and contribute to the collective Andela vision. You have the capacity to multi-task across teams to amplify internal and external communications on marketing, advertising, branding and creative development ensuring consistency and on-strategy execution.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic and crisis communication. You develop and maintain strong relationships with Andela’s senior management, staff, external agencies, press outlets, and others to engage them and support effective communication within and outside of organization. You are responsible for managing strategic and crisis communication should the need arise.
- A deep commitment to our mission. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your management of campaigns, and the media plans you have developed and executed.
- Government relations. You will work closely with the Country Director and be the liaison between Andela and the RDB.
Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- 4 years minimum experience in marketing/public relations, preferably with experience in a PR agency or the technology sector
- Strong existing relationships with, and extensive network of key business and technology-focused press contacts
- Excellent written & verbal communication (public speaking is key).
- Creative and critical thinking skills with an ability to fluidly craft narratives
- Strong command of written and spoken English
- Deep understanding of social media platforms and effective marketing strategies/techniques
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating, and working as part of teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets, particularly in Rwanda
- Professional experience with, or an understanding of the wider East and Central African region an advantage
- Record of an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution
- Start-up experience, though this is not required
- A great personality and good heart; we have a “no jerk” policy
Benefits and Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.