Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
Andela advances human potential by powering today’s teams and investing in tomorrow’s leaders. We recruit the most talented individuals on the African continent, help them grow into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures), Spark Capital and Generation Investment Management, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
About the Department
Andela’s Talent Development department creates the required programs, curriculum, facilitation, and partnerships that ensure our developers meet Andela’s “developer specifications” in a timely, efficient, scalable manner.
About the Role
We are seeking a Bench Program Manager who will co-design and manage a program that further prepares our developers in a way that fulfills the Staffing department’s needs. The program will be required to deliver high developer satisfaction that drives retention.
Find challenging work/experience for developers on the bench that keeps their skills sharp and also provides some business value to Andela/the local ecosystems in operating markets. In addition, the Bench Program Manager will ensure tight alignment between the skills developers gain while on the Bench and the current market demand. Finally the Bench Program Manager will optimize the Bench program to simplify staffing process and cut staffing time when an opportunity opens up for developers on the Bench to staff a partner’s team.
- Own the Andela waitlist - otherwise known as the Bench - of developers in the ‘Developer-Growth’ phase of their journey within the fellowship. Be responsible for the utilization of devs that are on the waitlist.
- Design programs that allocate Devs on the waitlist to one of several streams including but not limited to - Internal Products, External Products, Double Stacking, Open Source participation, and Leadership Practice.
- Collaborate with the Bench Product Manager around the Internal/External product streams.
- Directly oversee Double Stacking, Open Source programs and the Leadership Practice including performance management oversight (ex; SMART action plans and performance improvement plans).
- Collaborate with Apprenticeship and Staffing teams in understanding the pipeline coming into the Bench at any given time and planning their onboarding.
- Collaborate with the Staffing and TDD Ops teams in reducing friction around how Devs are off-boarded from the Bench.
- Report and be accountable to stakeholders on the status of the bench.
- to mentor the teams and help them to ensure the products they are building meet the program goals.
- Recruit and assign senior developers, as Technical Team Leads (TTLs), to oversee:
- Product quality (ex: code reviews, PR submissions) meets program goals
- Compliance and quality of performance feedback for utilized developers
- Vacation requests
- Performance management plans
- Manage the Technical Team Coordinator who helps to oversee the TTLs and ensure the overall bench program quality is met.
- Ensure successful and consistent execution of onboarding/offboarding processes of bench developers and the TTLs working closely with Staffing Manager.
- Ensure bench developer action-plans and performance improvement plans are well executed by the TTLs.
- Manage, monitor and track time spent on projects by the bench developers and TTLs.
- Key KPIs:
- Compliance and quality metrics for performance feedback for all utilized bench developers
- % bench utilization
- Have successfully worked as a program manager. You’ve actuated teams operationally to materialize the goals of multiple simultaneous projects on time while maintaining quality.
- Have at least 3 years of experience working in software product management, software development or technology consulting
- Have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Have experience effectively working remotely
- Are passionate about the evolving technology landscape and enjoy leveraging advancements to solve business problems
- Have a strong understanding of agile software development techniques
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Has the ability to present clear, well-thought out recommendations
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative, cross-disciplinary and geographically dispersed environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively present complex information clearly and keep track of multiple conversations at once
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing business priorities and a strong work ethic
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.