Title: Engineering Manager
Reporting to: Program Director, Apprenticeships
Matrix Report: N/A
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the role
The Engineering Manager is a people manager responsible for the technical and professional guidance of a group of Technical Team Leads (TTLs) providing mentoring and coaching and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health and efficiency of their teams.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Be a combination of a highly-technical software engineer and an effective people manager
- Responsible for the recruitment of Technical Team Leads (TTLs)
- Liaise with People to identify potential candidates that best fit the role
- Interview prospective TTLs to ensure fit
- Facilitate onboarding of TTLs in collaboration with Operations and People teams
- Develop team and individual KPIs aligned to the Department and Andela’s strategic goals
- Conduct quarterly reviews of KPIs in collaboration with Ops compliance
- Monitor all Engineering metrics, SLAs and KPIs for individual team members and ensures compliance with them
- Communicate expectations clearly to all team members and solicit and deliver individual feedback frequently
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes
- Onboarding and offboarding process
- Software development process
- Manage up to 5 TTLs
- Manage team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best engineering practices with the engineers
- Encourage a data-driven culture with the engineers to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our in-house systems
- Support the engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Occasionally unblock engineers on complex issues via whiteboarding and design sessions, etc
- Provide support on technical and career growth for TTLs
- Manage and track engineers on performance improvement plans
- Intra-Departmental collaboration with
- Engineering Managers to ensure consistency across all engineering teams within TDD
- TDD Leadership to represent and communicate engineering initiatives
- Apprenticeship product team to align on product metrics (viability, complexity, resources, and longevity) and support Product Managers to advocate for and prioritize technical initiatives for the team
- Apprenticeship Program Manager to ensure high quality Apprenticing Developer experience, co-design Apprenticeship program activities, and decide on technical personnel required to support the program
- Cross-Departmental collaboration with
- Technology Department to align on engineering practices, processes, and resources
- Operations in regards to hardware for engineers
- People dept in regards to people issues
- IT to align on procurement, new infrastructure, and 3rd party integrations
- Support with budget creation, monitoring, and adherence responsibilities
- 4-5 years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a people manager
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- A strong desire to mentor developers
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.