Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in Austin, NYC, SF, Kampala, Kigali, Lagos, and Nairobi, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class learning technology to support the skill development of Andela developers at scale.
As the Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers and Stakeholders to understand the business requirements
- Collaborate with a team of engineers to deliver complex software solutions that meet those needs
- Own the full lifecycle of features from design, to implementation to deployment and maintenance
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Participate and contribute during project planning sessions
- At least 5+ years of software development experience
- Strong understanding of computer science principles, system design, and architecture
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- Experience developing SaaS products, specifically ed-tech or learning technology
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and pair programming
- Experience building both front-end and backend
- Proficient in at least two (2) or more of the following technologies:
- Angular / React
- AWS / Google Cloud
- Solid written and verbal communication
- Experience working remotely as an effective team member
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field