Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela is hiring a Director of Operations, a seasoned professional who is passionate about building the next generation of technology and business leaders in Africa. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing on strategy, addressing daily issues, supervising staff at multiple levels, and following up on out-of-sync metrics that arise.
Areas of concentration will be around General Operations, Facilities Management, Procurement, Security, Kitchen, hiring/growth and issue resolution. There will also be a level of oversight on both Guest Relations & Travel and I.T. operations, even though these areas of the organization have a level of centralization across all global locations.
You bring more than passion to the role: you are a world-class leader with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale. You know how to think – and act – big, while holding a strong moral compass in everything you do.
Your day-to-day would have you:
Lead all operational elements of Andela Kenya
- Lead the running of all operational aspects of the business in Kenya
- Optimize current operational activities and make adjustment based on learnings
- Oversee the facilities and real estate team, including both office and residential properties to ensure safety and security across multiple locations
- Manage and track daily/weekly metrics from all aspects of the business functions in his/her docket
- Develop and keep highly informative business reports for use by both the Country Director, and global leadership to have a pretty accurate idea on the state of the business at any given time
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections
- Complete quarterly (or more) financial and operational reviews and reports
Provide Strong Operational Support
- Provide operational support to all other divisions within Andela as they would require
- Oversee the building and/or continuous improvement of operational SLAs between the central operations and departmental operations to help them achieve their goals effectively
- Lead ways to automate and reduce time spent on operational tasks across the business
Build strong processes and systems
- Maintain and create highly-structured processes and systems that both rely on and produce data that helps drive business decisions
- Maintain and improve “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela operating model; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for supporting other teams
- Collaborate with the Country Director to Combine in-depth operational analysis with hands-on learning to drive improvements across different parts of our process
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team
- Manage all operations staff members including facilities, logistics, and other cross-functional teams
- Make sure that all functional areas and team leads in those functional areas have objectives and trackable metrics that are reported weekly
- Establish and maintain a highly capable management team for each department and monitors their performance against Business Unit goals.
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance at least twice a year
- Suggest and create job descriptions, screen candidates and make recommendations for any needed roles in addition to existing team
- Define and execute multiple time-sensitive, large-scale projects to meet business objectives in defined time frames
- Anticipate potential bottlenecks, provide innovative solutions to troubleshoot challenges, and balance business needs with technical constraints
Support expansion to other locations in Kenya and across Africa
- Make recommendations to Andela leadership about what’s needed in setting up operations for future locations in your region
- Be part of a larger team to design and execute Andela’s growth strategy
- Sit in the Kenya Leadership team (NX) and contribute to the strategic direction that will help meet the country goals and objectives.
- Influence key leaders and stakeholders recommendations on strategic organizational issues.
- Act as second in command in absence of the Country Director.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Strategic Thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to assess trade-offs, risks, opportunities, and can see the big picture clearly even while getting through the day to day hurdles.
- Operational Excellence. Whether in building your own company or previous experience working in operations at a company, you demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations or initiatives. You are entrepreneurial and creative, eager to find ways to develop talent, build a team, and set up a business for scale. You have strong business skills and will be comfortable engaging multiple teams who are core to the success of Andela. You have a natural ability to work across borders to connect with our global team to help scale our operations in Kenya and around the world.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams; and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners. It is also important that you have a demonstrated understanding of what it takes to build high performance teams and a best in class operations department.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of curiosity, and a deep commitment to lifelong learning. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your involvement in building organizations, companies or non-profits and developing talent in some area that is meaningful to you.
Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- At least 7-10 years experience in operations with 3 of those being in Management.
- Experience managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting, in a complex environment
- Proven experience establishing, implementing, and executing operational process in a ever-changing company
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets, particularly in Kenya or elsewhere in Africa
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
- Experience at start-ups a plus, but not required
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.