Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
Andela is on a mission to empower a generation of technology leaders across Africa. In the past three years, we have recruited over 400 developers, based in Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, who work as full-time engineers for leading technology companies across the globe. We’ve contributed over 7,000 hours to 245 open source projects, participated in some of the world’s most competitive hackathons, and even helped introduce Mark Zuckerberg to the Kenyan technology ecosystem.
As Andela scales its presence in Kenya, the Country Director and leadership team will need to deploy a highly effective team to work on high-impact strategic initiatives for the country. These include long-term (i.e. 2-3 yr horizon) strategies at the country level, as well as short-term opportunities to operate a more effective, high performing organization.
Andela Kenya is seeking a Strategic Initiatives Coordinator, who will play a critical role in identifying, evaluating, recommending, and executing high-impact initiatives within Andela Kenya to drive more accountability within the individual departments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Represents the office of the Country Director, where requested/Directed, in preparing for interactions with key stakeholders
- Ensures the Country Director is prepared and in possession of materials and information required for meetings, conferences, external engagements and other scheduled events.
- Leads the development of strategies for all external affairs including business and community relationships to provide a cohesive and comprehensive perspective of the organization.
- Oversees the flow and content of information to the Country Director, Leadership team members, to assist the Country Director in managing those relationships.
- Coordinates strategic consultation to the office of the Country Director on major issues affecting the organization.
- Does the research and analysis to formulate local strategy and/or program recommendations that support and enhance organizational-wide goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees and stakeholders that support and advance business goals and objectives.
- Works to remove barriers that hamper inter- and intra-department communications. Also and, in particular, ensuring linkages between and among the Country Director’s office, Leadership team members, and the Communications department.
- Supports the development of employees throughout the organization to identify and nurture talent and new leadership that results in improved performance.
- Creates and sustains an environment that supports decision making, accountability and linkages at all levels in the organization.
- Leads and supports efforts to continually improve business practices and processes within and around the office of the Country Director and Country Leadership to maximize organizational-wide resources and achieve operational excellence.
- Helps articulate changes in organizational and business priorities in ways that encourage action and support.
- Structure analytical and data-driven approaches to evaluating and executing projects
- Serves on and/or provides support to organizational-wide or department strategic project teams as assigned.
- Degree in a business related course
- At least 3 years experience in a strategic/operational role.
- Background in strategy, management consulting or business operations desired
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to identify gaps in systems and processes
- Analytical and data-driven mindset
- Strong relationship management skills, including ability to facilitate complex discussions
- Excellent written & verbal communication, including ability to break down complex concepts into simpler forms for others to comprehend
- Creative and critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership experience, particularly around influencing stakeholders
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading academic institution
- Startup experience preferred, though not required
- A great personality and good heart; we have a “no jerk” policy
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.