Job Title: Director of People
Type: Full Time
Experience: Senior Level
Reports to: Country Director
Dotted Line Reporting: Senior Director of People
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to empower 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
About the Role
Andela is seeking a Director of People to build our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our people can realize their full potential. To be successful in this role, the right candidate will bring extensive knowledge and experience in managing and building people systems for growing organizations. As a coach to a growing team of managers, a supporter to our staff, and as one of the designers of our human systems, you will play an instrumental role in building a truly world class organization.
The Director of People will be responsible for strategic and operational development, management and planning of the People function. The role is responsible for ensuring proper management of the entire life cycle of an employee from onboarding and forward. This role reports into the Country Director and has a dotted line to the Senior Director of People (The Human Resource Department is the equivalent of the People Department at Andela)
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of People and the overall Andela People team in setting the global People strategy.
- Champion the creation and execution of Andela People priorities.
- Lead in the local execution of the Global Andela People strategies.
- Drive the implementation of the strategic business plan by ensuring Andela employees are equipped and empowered to deliver the organisational strategy.
- Oversee the execution of the people aspects of the organisational strategy ensuring people are at the centre of all change processes.
- Act as the primary HR business partner to the Country Director and Kampala Leadership Team.
Organization development and Change Management
- Drive Andela culture initiatives in Country.
- Ensure that all roles are well defined and collaborate with departmental heads to ensure that all job descriptions are up to date.
- Manage organizational development (OD) strategies and processes for departments including performance management, talent development, team effectiveness, and leadership coaching.
- Continue to build the development of leadership and management in the organisation in a way that enables employees to grow in tandem with changing organisational needs.
- Overseeing the entire process of performance management, ensuring timely submission of reports and their analysis.
- Coordinate with Departmental Heads in ensuring that staff appreciate the linkage of performance to reward.
- Support performance systems including ad hoc performance support and training interventions as needed.
- To lead on the implementation of, and updates to, the Andela’s performance management strategy.
- Provide professional expertise and support in the design, development and implementation of the talent review process that is required to achieve business goals and results in the creation of an internal bench of top talent.
- Collect, analyze and maintain data gathered to inform targeted leadership development
- Research and assist in the development of Performance Management training programs that focus on enabling the workforce to achieve improvements with priority organizational concerns.
- Collaborate in developing, initiating and maintaining effective programs for workforce retention, promotion and succession planning.
- Work closely with the line managers to prepare talent maps for business unit to career progression and feeds leadership pipeline.
- Advise and support the Country Director and the Departmental Heads on staff turnover and propose measures for talent retention
- Oversee the entire process of career and succession planning for key talent and position at Andela
- Provide monthly HR progress reports with regards to Talent Management and any that may be required by the VP of People and the Country Director
- Supporting and advising the Country Director and the Senior Director of People on the opportunities for improvement of employee relations.
- Enhance two-way communication within the business unit by ensuring that employees and other stakeholders are informed of what is happening, why it is happening and how it affects them.
- Implement the disciplinary and grievance handling policies and procedures taking into account application of law, organization values, operational policies and procedures.
- To liaise with Legal Team and Advisors on all legal issues relating to staff and ensure timely closure of the same.
- In liaison with the Heads of Department and or other concerned Departments, line management and staff, investigate or coordinate the investigation of staff cases relating to disciplinary and grievance matters and ensure their conclusion and or determination.
- Oversee the staff wellness programs and medical scheme.
- Manage staff separation procedures and communication, ensuring that internal policies and related statutory requirements are observed/fulfilled.
- Support and advice on People challenges and issues facing the department.
- Creating a high customer experience to internal clients requiring People services.
- Participate in employee related initiatives to ensure the organization embraces and adheres to the company’s defined culture and values within the office.
- Support the business to understand the People.
Qualifications & Characteristics:
As the ideal candidates for this role you:
- Comprehensive understanding of core human resources processes and systems (recruitment, absence management, organisation change, workforce planning, personnel administration, HR Analytics and Performance management) and best practice standards for each.
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders and to use these to create and implement people and organisation related business plans that support the achievement of business goals and objectives.
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environments with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Implementation of employee engagement strategies that have successfully delivered improved individual employee and organisational performance.
- A minimum of 7 - 10 years professional experience in a range of sectors.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent +7 years of relevant HR experience or MS/MA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent, and 5 years relevant experience.
- Certified member of Chartered Institute of Personnel Management or related body is a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill to build HR systems: benefits, payroll, accounting (not necessarily extensive knowledge, more knowing how to build the system)
- Ability to manage a team
- Skill to implement a performance management system for growing organization
- Skill to intervene with dissatisfied staff or mediate disagreements
- Skill (+experience) to build a recruiting program
- Ability to quickly build trust with staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Skill to interact with diplomacy, tact and follow up on requests in timely and efficient manner. Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality for sensitive HR issues, projects.
- Computer literacy at an intermediate level. Including ability to use HR and other business software. Experience in HRIS implementation is an advantage. .
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable founding country labour laws (US) into local practices as required.
- Strong knowledge of:
- salary structure
- benefits and compensation
- job evaluation systems.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.