Job Title: Director of People
Type: Full Time
Experience: Senior Level
Reports to: Country Director
Dotted Line Reporting: Senior Director of People
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to empower 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen.
About the Role
Andela is seeking a Director of People to build our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our people can realize their full potential.
To be successful in this role, the right candidate will be tasked with delivering core HR services and taking a true partnership approach to your work, consistently bridging department needs with that of the broader company. You will provide objective advice regarding complex issues and coach managers on best practices including talent acquisition and retention, professional development, performance management, culture, and career development.
This role reports into the Country Director and has a dotted line to the Senior Director of People (The Human Resource Department is the equivalent of the People Department at Andela)
- Partner with leaders, managers and individuals to identify broad, chronic organizational challenges or opportunities. Craft and implement strategies to address everything from workforce planning and compensation budgets, to talent management and succession planning, reward and engagement strategies to performance management, and staffing strategies and organizational design. You will be the connector across other functions creating a seamless experience across the employee lifecycle.
- Lead in the local execution of the Global Andela People strategies.
- Oversee the execution of the people aspects of the organisational strategy ensuring people are at the centre of all change processes.
- Act as the primary HR business partner to the Country Director and Kampala Leadership Team.
Coach, Inspire, Mediate
- Create sustained solutions to manager, team, and individual challenges through a variety of coaching and mediation techniques.
- Ability to design and implement innovative and engaging programs to drive the evolution of the functions you support. This may include individual coaching for leaders on best practices to improve their people management skills, career and job coaching, and navigating conflict within teams.
Organization development and Change Management
- Drive Andela culture initiatives in Country.
- Oversee to ensure that all roles are well defined and collaborate with departmental heads to ensure that all job descriptions are up to date.
- Manage organizational development (OD) strategies and processes for departments including performance management, talent development, team effectiveness, and leadership coaching.
- Continue to build the development of leadership and management in the organisation in a way that enables employees to grow in tandem with changing organisational needs.
- Measure and monitor existing programs and experiences. Partner with the rest of the team in addition to external specialists to execute global strategic initiatives and priorities within the organization. This may include performance management, leadership development and 360 reviews, compensation planning, policy development and compliance, and terminations. While you will have operational support, you are someone who will roll their sleeves up and dive into the most mundane of tasks!
- Performance Management
- Overseeing the entire process of performance management, ensuring timely submission of reports and their analysis.
- Coordinate with Departmental Heads in ensuring that staff appreciate the linkage of performance to reward.
- Support performance systems including ad hoc performance support and training interventions as needed.
- To lead on the implementation of, and updates to, the Andela’s performance management strategy.
- Talent Management:
- Provide professional expertise and support in the design, development and implementation of the talent review process that is required to achieve business goals and results in the creation of an internal bench of top talent.
- Collaborate in developing, initiating and maintaining effective programs for workforce retention, promotion and succession planning.
- Work closely with the line managers to prepare talent maps for business unit to career progression and feeds leadership pipeline.
- Advise and support the Country Director and the Departmental Heads on staff turnover and propose measures for talent retention
- Oversee the entire process of career and succession planning for key talent and position at Andela
- Provide monthly HR progress reports with regards to Talent Management and any that may be required by the Snr. Director of People and the Country Director
- Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with key stakeholders, other internal teams, and most importantly within People and Experience Team (P.E.T) to become a trusted advisor.
- Supporting and advising the Country Director and the Senior Director of People on the opportunities for improvement of employee relations.
- Enhance two-way communication within the business unit by ensuring that employees and other stakeholders are informed of what is happening, why it is happening and how it affects them.
- Oversee the implement of the disciplinary and grievance handling policies and procedures taking into account application of law, organization values, operational policies and procedures.
- To liaise with Legal Team and Advisors on all legal issues relating to staff and ensure timely closure of the same.
- Oversee staff separation procedures and communication, ensuring that internal policies and related statutory requirements are observed/fulfilled.
- Generally speaking, our role is to be proactive. We strive to anticipate issues before they arise, and to create short and long-term plans for our organization. But stuff happens … We really don’t like emergencies, but when they happen you should know how to handle them quickly, discreetly, and with grace. You leverage your deep knowledge of employment law, compliance and best practice to mitigate risks to individual employees and VM.
Qualifications & Characteristics:
As the ideal candidates for this role you:
- Lead heart first, care deeply about both people and outcomes
- Put your relationships at the forefront of everything you do
- Have a strong interest and ability in HR analytics and leveraging data to inform decisions
- Comprehensive understanding of core human resources processes and systems (recruitment, absence management, organisation change, workforce planning, personnel administration, HR Analytics and Performance management) and best practice standards for each.
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders and to use these to create and implement people and organisation related business plans that support the achievement of business goals and objectives.
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environments with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Implementation of employee engagement strategies that have successfully delivered improved individual employee and organisational performance.
- A minimum of 7 - 10 years professional experience in a range of sectors.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent +7 years of relevant HR experience or MS/MA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent,
- Certified member of local and international HR body is a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill to build HR systems: benefits, payroll, accounting (not necessarily extensive knowledge, more knowing how to build the system)
- Ability to manage a team
- Skill to implement a performance management system for growing organization
- Skill to intervene with dissatisfied staff or mediate disagreements
- Skill (+experience) to build a recruiting program
- Ability to quickly build trust with staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Skill to interact with diplomacy, tact and follow up on requests in timely and efficient manner. Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality for sensitive HR issues, projects.
- Computer literacy at an intermediate level. Including ability to use HR and other business software. Experience in HRIS implementation is an advantage. .
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Country labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable founding country labour laws (US) into local practices as required.
- Strong knowledge of:
- salary structure
- benefits and compensation
- job evaluation systems.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.