Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
The People & Culture Director will be responsible for strategic and operational development, management and planning of the People and Culture function and corporate and information governance portfolio. The role is responsible for ensuring proper management of the entire life cycle of an employee from onboarding and forward. This role reports into the Country Director as well as the Global VP of People & Culture. (The Human Resource Department is the equivalent of the People and Culture Department at Andela)
- Collaborate with the VP of People & Culture (P&C) and the overall Andela P&C team in setting the global People strategy.
- Champion Andela Kenya People priorities
- Lead in the execution of the Global Andela P&C strategies, ensuring that these are in line with Country Leadership Strategy.
Organization development and Change Management
- Drive organizational change initiatives in line with the Country Leadership strategy.
- Drive Andela culture initiatives in Kenya.
- Ensure that all roles are well defined and collaborate with departmental heads to ensure that all job descriptions are upto date.
- Manage organizational development (OD) strategies and processes for departments including performance management, talent development, team effectiveness, and leadership coaching.
- Overseeing the entire process of performance management, ensuring timely submission of reports and their analysis.
- Co-ordinate with Departmental Heads in ensuring that staff appreciate the linkage of performance to reward.
- Support performance systems including ad hoc performance support and training interventions as needed.
- To lead on the implementation of, and updates to, the Andela’s performance management strategy.
- Facilitate the Career and succession plans for key talent and key positions at Andela Kenya. Advise the Country Director and the Departmental Heads on the staff turnover and propose measures for talent retention.
- Provide HR monthly reports plus any that may be required by the VP of P&C and the Country Director.
- Facilitate the Career and succession plans for key talent and key positions in Andela Kenya.
- Provide professional expertise and support in the design, development and implementation of the talent review process that is required to achieve business goals and results in the creation of an internal bench of top talent.
- Collect, analyze and maintain data gathered to inform targeted leadership development
- Research and assist in the development of Performance Management training programs that focus on enabling the workforce to achieve improvements with priority organizational concerns.
- Collaborate in developing, initiating and maintaining effective programs for workforce retention, promotion and succession planning.
- Work closely with the line managers to prepare talent maps for business unit to career progression and feeds leadership pipeline.
- Supporting and advising the VP of P&C and Country Director on the opportunities for improvement of employee relations.
- Enhance two-way communication within the business unit by ensuring that employees and other stakeholders are informed of what is happening, why it is happening and how it affects them.
- Implement the disciplinary and grievance handling policies and procedures taking into account application of law, organization values, operational policies and procedures.
- To liaise with Legal & Company Secretary Division on all legal issues relating to staff and ensure timely closure of the same.
- In liaison with the Heads of Department and or other concerned Departments, line management and staff, investigate or coordinate the investigation of staff cases relating to disciplinary and grievance matters and ensure their conclusion and or determination.
- Oversee the staff wellness programs and medical scheme.
- Manage staff separation procedures and communication, ensuring that internal policies and related statutory requirements are observed/fulfilled.
- Support and advice on P&C challenges and issues facing the department.
- Creating a high customer experience to internal clients requiring P&C services.
- Participate in employee related initiatives to ensure the organization embraces and adheres to the company’s defined culture and values within the office.
- Support the business to understand the People and Culture.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor/ Masters Degree in Human Resource Management
- CIPD qualification would be an added advantage.
- At least 7 years experience in a similar capacity in an international organization.
- Strong business acumen through understanding of business goals,vision, culture and environment.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Analytical, able to analyze data from different sources.
- Self starter and able to work autonomously.
- Facilitating human resource management and workforce planning.
- Mentoring and coaching staff.
- Genuine passion for people.
- High emotional intelligence.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.