Job Title: Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis
Location: Franklin, TN / Remote
Reports to: Director of Accounting Operations and Reporting
Ancient Nutrition together with DrAxe.com is a growing wellness brand focused on providing history’s healthiest, real food nutrients to today’s modern world. With a strong brand and passionate team, we are on a mission to provide best in class products with wholesome, clean ingredients that fuel the body and mind, restoring health, strength, and vitality.
Ancient Nutrition has quickly become the #2 protein supplement and meal replacement brand in the natural health channel through its pioneering line of Bone Broth Protein, Multi Collagen Protein, Essential Oils, and Keto products. Ancient Nutrition recently announced a strategic minority investment led by VMG Partners, a private equity firm that specializes in investing in and building iconic branded consumer product companies within the food, beverage, pet food, personal care, and wellness categories, including KIND, Quest, Vega, and more.
The Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis will work as part of the overall Finance team, working closely with several members of that team as well as the Sales Leadership team and the Operations team. The perfect candidate for this role will be someone who enjoys working in an agile and fast paced environment and doesn’t hesitate to jump into a new challenge! The role will work cross-functionally with all businesses to improve business performance. This role will support the company to drive growth and revenue, help build a data-driven culture by mentoring business users, and work with stakeholders to discover and set requirements to selectively leverage data or organizational objectives. This role will be expected to help drive the annual budget process, the detailed sales forecast process, and the overall financial forecast. This role requires an individual with strong business acumen, strategic thinking skills and the ability to work in an agile, ever-changing environment. A strong attention to detail is also critical for this role.
Working together with the CFO, the Director of Technical Accounting and Compliance, and the Director of Accounting Operations and Reporting, focus will be on the following areas:
Sales & Trade Forecasting
- Manage sales and trade forecasts according to best practices across multiple channels in an efficient and effective manner.
- Become a key liaison between sales and operations to ensure that the latest forecasted data is included in demand planning and providing exception reporting if there are forecasted any inventory issues
- Meet regularly with sales leads to update forecast data at the sku level based on past trends, product launches and promotional plans for the future. Forecast includes updates to unit sales, discounts, and other trade amounts based on promotional schedules and contracts.
- On a monthly basis, update the sales forecast with actuals from NetSuite, Shopify, Market Data, and other data sources and roll up all sales forecasts to create reporting used in full financial forecasts.
- Meet with the operations team to review forecast updates – create reporting that shows inventory levels compared to forecasts illustrating out of stocks and proposed purchasing plan.
- Analyze trade spend at the strategic customer level and assist on implementing guardrails for the sales team to follow – providing exception reporting on major price, trade rate and volume variances.
- Provide trade accruals to accounting at month end.
- Assist the department managers on a regular basis in updating their portions of the forecast model for expenses and capital spending in order to analyze variances to forecasts, financial trends, along with changes to future growth projections. Highlight significant changes to subsequent forecasts.
- Be a key member of the commercialization team by producing product P&Ls as part of the commercialization process to ensure ELT has accurate and up to date information for decision making at go/no go points in the process.
- Help build and maintain P&L forecast models for the business that will be updated quarterly and be able to provide different scenario analysis.
- Conduct necessary research to prepare forecasts of future financial conditions using multiple scenarios and cost-benefit analysis to assist ELT in making decisions on current and proposed programs.
- Work alongside finance and IT team members to help further develop the data warehouse that will be the source of data, driving the overall forecast process along with other aspects of the overall forecasting down to gross margin.
- Other projects relating to forecasting and business process improvements as required
- Responsible for planning meetings and preparing templates to create the annual budget for the entire client enterprise.
- Engage with the Finance team to gather actuals and prepare a template for department heads to review in preparation of setting new budgets.
- Work with department heads to fully understand the intricacies of the business to facilitate proper expense management
- Assist with preparation of the monthly management reporting package
- Provide commentary as necessary on key trends, wins or losses, outcomes, and other important variables
- Bachelor’s degree, higher degree preferred.
- 3+ years of experience leading optimization/analysis with an agile way of work
- 3+ years working with sales and operations teams in developing and maintaining detailed sales forecasts
- Experience working within a CPG environment required including analysis of trade spend.
- Knowledge of Tableau to present analysis results preferred.
- Expert communicator particularly at the leadership level to passionately persuade, influence, and drive change.
- Collaborative approach to team and overall company
Ancient Nutrition was co-founded by two super smart and energetic health experts Jordan Rubin, founder and former CEO of Garden of Life, along with Dr. Josh Axe, doctor of natural medicine who started one of the world’s largest natural health websites. That entrepreneurial and passionate spirit extends to each and every employee within the company where taking the initiative and realizing high achievement are basic traits. Everyone plays a critical role in building the brand and nurturing its mission and culture; micro-management is not allowed. The team understands that while they take the science and obligation of serving others health very seriously, they do not take themselves too seriously – they laugh a lot and enjoy spending time together whether it be team bonding or company wide retreats (think the Escape Game, Top Golf, and the random piñata at the summer cookout.)