Role: Full Stack Developer
Reports to: PythonAnywhere, Team Lead
Location: Remote, Germany
Job Type: Full Time- Salary
Help us Shape the Future of Data
Anaconda is the world’s most popular data science platform. With more than 26 million users, the open source Anaconda Distribution is the easiest way to do data science and machine learning. We pioneered the use of Python for data science, champion its vibrant community, and continue to steward open-source projects that make tomorrow’s innovations possible. Our enterprise-grade solutions enable corporate, research, and academic institutions around the world to harness the power of open source for competitive advantage and groundbreaking research.
Anaconda is seeking people who want to play a role in shaping the future of enterprise machine learning, and data science. Candidates should be knowledgeable and capable, but always eager to learn more and to teach others. Overall, we strive to create a culture of ability and humility and an environment that is both relaxed and focused. We stress empathy and collaboration with our customers, open-source users, and each other.
Here is why people love most about working here: We’re not just a company, we’re part of a movement. Our dedicated employees and user community are democratizing data science and creating and promoting open-source technologies for a better world, and our commercial offerings make it possible for enterprise users to leverage the most innovative output from open source in a secure, governed way.
Anaconda is seeking a talented Full Stack Developer to join our rapidly-growing company. This is an excellent opportunity for you to leverage your experience and skills and apply it to the world of data science and machine learning.
PythonAnywhere is a platform-as-a-service used by tens of thousands of Python developers, and all members of the team work on features from the front end through to the back end. Coding is done in pairs using the Extreme Programming methodology, so the role would involve working with team members who can explain how the back end works and transfer knowledge, which over time would help the developer understand the full stack behind the system.
What You’ll Do:
- Everyone works on complete new features and bug fixes for the entire application, from the frontend to the backend. The current team is made up of backend developers who’ve taught themselves front-end technology, so we look forward to welcoming someone who can teach us how to do front-end better, at the same time as we train them up on backend technologies.
- We practice Extreme Programming, with a two week iteration cycle. In each iteration planning meeting, we use a collaborative process to pick features to work on over the coming two weeks.
- A typical day: we start with a ‘dogpile’ on tech support from the night before, answering technical questions, user care, and so on. Then, we plan the day - who is pairing with whom, and which pairs are working on which things.. Because we do XP, it’s always two programmers working on the same code at the same time, developing using test-driven development. Most of the day is spent on implementing this stuff, though there is always some time spent helping users (which then helps us understand what to do in our future iterations).
- We always need someone on call to deal with system outages; after some time, you would expect to be added to this rota (with a more experienced team member always available to back you up if needed)..
- Likewise we need a person available at weekends to be able to handle tech support, system issues, and so on. This normally takes about half a day, Saturday and Sunday, for one team member each week. Unlimited holiday enables the person in question to make up by taking a day off when working on the weekend (or two if it was busy!) Over time you would expect to be added to this rota too (again, with an experienced team member available as backup).
What You Need:
- Exposure to recent frameworks like Backbone.js, Bootstrap, CoffeeScript, React
- Fluent with git and github.com
- Deep curiosity for user experience and crafting products that delight
- Exceptional execution, obsess over the details, but pragmatic focus on delivery
- Experience with a geographically distributed development team
- At least the last 4 years doing full-time web UI development and design
- Portfolio with relevant code samples - be prepared to debrief
- Past experience in cloud SaaS UI
- Comfortable with a highly iterative lean/agile methodology that includes providing time estimates and managing feedback loops
- Driven to rigorously test and refine code to get the design right
- Collaboration skills to articulate your decisions, and provide and receive critical feedback
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring abilities
- Team attitude: “I am not done, until WE are done”
- Embody our core values:
- Ability & Humility
- Innovation & Action
- Empathy & Connection
- Care deeply about fostering an environment where people of all backgrounds and experiences can flourish
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Experience working in a open source or data science-oriented company
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Unique opportunity to translate strong open source adoption and user enthusiasm into commercial product growth
- Dynamic company that rewards high performers
- On the cutting edge of enterprise application of data science, machine learning and AI
- Collaborative team environment that values multiple perspectives and clear thinking
- Employees-first culture
- Flexible working hours
- Health and Remote working reimbursement
- Additional paid parental leave for fathers
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Open vacation policy and monthly company days off known as Snake Days (Minimum 42 days off)
- 100% remote and flexible working policy – we embrace this fully through how we operate as a company.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.