Role: Software Engineer (BeeWare)
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Location: Remote, Australia, US West Coast, Germany, Canada, UK (UTC+8 compatible)
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Help us Shape the Future of Data
Anaconda is the world’s most popular data science platform. With more than 26 million users, the open source Anaconda Distribution is the easiest way to do data science and machine learning. We pioneered the use of Python for data science, champion its vibrant community, and continue to steward open-source projects that make tomorrow’s innovations possible. Our enterprise-grade solutions enable corporate, research, and academic institutions around the world to harness the power of open source for competitive advantage and groundbreaking research.
Anaconda is seeking people who want to play a role in shaping the future of enterprise machine learning, and data science. Candidates should be knowledgeable and capable, but always eager to learn more and to teach others. Overall, we strive to create a culture of ability and humility and an environment that is both relaxed and focused. We stress empathy and collaboration with our customers, open-source users, and each other.
Here is why people love most about working here: We’re not just a company, we’re part of a movement. Our dedicated employees and user community are democratizing data science and creating and promoting open-source technologies for a better world, and our commercial offerings make it possible for enterprise users to leverage the most innovative output from open source in a secure, governed way.
Anaconda is seeking a talented Senior Software Engineer to join the BeeWare team at Anaconda. BeeWare is a collection of open source tools and libraries for building and deploying Python applications with a native GUIs on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android or the web (other platforms like set-top boxes and watches may be added in future). This is an opportunity to make a major contribution to the Python ecosystem, ensuring that Python can be used on all the computing platforms that are in common use today, and to provide tools that allow people of all levels of programming experience to develop GUI apps for their devices.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop new features for the various BeeWare open source projects (Toga, Briefcase, and more)
- Review and guide the contributions of community members to BeeWare projects
- Respond to support requests from users and developers on Github and Discord
- Support internal engineering teams usage of BeeWare
- Present your work at conferences and in webinars
What You Need:
- A passion for Python as a language that enables people of all levels of experience to control their computing devices.
- A passion for Open Source community and helping users
- Experience with developing GUI apps on at least one of the BeeWare supported platforms
- Demonstration of our core values:
- Ability & Humility
- Innovation & Action
- Empathy & Connection
- A commitment to fostering an environment where people of all backgrounds and experiences can flourish
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Experience as an open source contributor; experience contributing to BeeWare projects will be especially valued
- Experience developing GUI apps on multiple BeeWare supported platforms
- Experience developing and diagnosing problems with C libraries
- Experience using FFI or JNI interfaces to bridge from high level to low level languages.
- A history of developing creative solutions to engineering problems
- A history of presenting technical topics at conferences
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Unique opportunity to translate strong open source adoption and user enthusiasm into commercial product growth
- Dynamic company that rewards high performers
- On the cutting edge of enterprise application of data science, machine learning and AI
- Collaborative team environment that values multiple perspectives and clear thinking
- Employees-first culture
- Flexible working hours
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life and 401K
- Health and Remote working reimbursement
- Paid parental leave - both mothers and fathers
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Open vacation policy and monthly company days off known as Snake Days
- 100% remote and flexible working policy – we embrace this fully through how we operate as a company.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.