Role: Software Engineer- Distro
Reports to: Director, Engineering
Location: Austin, TX or Berlin, Germany
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Help Us Shape the Future of Data
Anaconda is the world’s most popular data science platform. With more than 20 million users, the open source Anaconda Distribution is the easiest way to do data science and machine learning.
We pioneered the use of Python for data science, champion its vibrant community, and continue to steward open-source projects that make tomorrow’s innovations possible. Our enterprise-grade solutions enable corporate, research, and academic institutions around the world to harness the power of open-source for competitive advantage and groundbreaking research.
Anaconda is seeking people who want to play a role in shaping the future of enterprise AI, machine learning, and data science. Candidates should be knowledgeable and capable, but always eager to learn more and to teach others. Overall, we strive to create a culture of ability and humility and an environment that is both relaxed and focused. We stress empathy and collaboration with our customers, open-source users, and each other. Our primary employee perk or “what employees like most about working here” is that we are not just a company, but a movement. Our dedicated employees and user community strive to democratize data science and create and promote open-source technologies for a better world.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a key member of the Anaconda Distribution team making impactful changes that the large Anaconda ecosystem benefits from every day
- Attend daily SCRUM meetings, sprint demos, etc.
- Create and update advanced conda recipes used to build conda packages
- Build, test and release conda packages
- Make each day count: Identify repetitive manual tasks and find solutions to automate them
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda mailing lists (https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/forum/#!forum/anaconda)
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda-issues github repository (https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues)
What You Need:
- 3 plus years of development experience
- Experience coding in Python or some shell scripting (bash, MS-DOS batch, powershell) to automate rote system-level tasks
- Working knowledge of linux
- Persistent drive to improve workflows and make things better
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Team attitude: “I am not done, until WE are done”
- Listening: Empathetic to team members’ ideas and perspectives
- Continuous learning and sharing: Asking questions, sharing information, and understanding the “why” for your work and our team’s work
- Able to work well on a team as well as independently
- Must be based in Austin, TX area or willing to relocate
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Able to fix bugs in software written in a range of languages and contribute fixes to the upstream projects
- Familiarity with git or other version control software
- Familiarity with compilers like MS Visual Studio, gcc, clang, gfortran, Makefiles, CMake and Autotools.
- Comfortable with building software using MSBuild, CMake, nmake, or similar, able to dig into any build system or code-base to diagnose and fix problems.
- Familiarity with the shared library mechanisms on Windows, macOS and Linux, and techniques for diagnosing and resolving missing or mismatched libraries.
- Experience building conda recipes and packages and uploading them to Anaconda Cloud
- Experience with other Anaconda open source projects and tools
- Familiar with building installers (Windows NSIS installers, macOS GUI installers, shell installers, others)
- Some experience with packaging software for a Software Distribution would be advantageous (Homebrew, Linux, Cygwin, MSYS2 etc).
- Your presence makes your team members and those around you better
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Dynamic company that rewards high-performers
- Be on the cutting edge of new technologies and services
- Collaborative team environment that values multiple perspectives and fresh thinking
- Employees First culture
- Work home Wednesdays (optional)
- Casual dress code
- Flexible working hours
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Unlimited Vacation!
- Pre IPO Stock options
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.