Role: Software Engineer- Distro
Reports to: Director, Engineering
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Help us Deliver Technology for Human Sensemaking
Anaconda is the world’s most popular data science platform. With more than 20 million users, the open source Anaconda Distribution is the easiest way to do data science and machine learning. We pioneered the use of Python for data science, champion its vibrant community, and continue to steward open-source projects that make tomorrow’s innovations possible. Our enterprise-grade solutions enable corporate, research, and academic institutions around the world to harness the power of open source for competitive advantage and groundbreaking research.
Anaconda is seeking people who want to play a role in shaping the future of enterprise machine learning, and data science. Candidates should be knowledgeable and capable, but always eager to learn more and to teach others. Overall, we strive to create a culture of ability and humility and an environment that is both relaxed and focused. We stress empathy and collaboration with our customers, open-source users, and each other.
Here is why people love most about working here: We’re not just a company, we’re part of a movement. Our dedicated employees and user community are democratizing data science and creating and promoting open-source technologies for a better world, and our commercial offerings make it possible for enterprise users to leverage the most innovative output from open source in a secure, governed way.
Anaconda is looking for a motivated developer to join the Anaconda Distribution team. The role will involve authoring and updating conda recipes and building conda packages and developing tools and automation around those recipes. Conda is an open source package and environment management system for installing multiple versions of software packages and their dependencies and switching easily between them. It works on Linux, macOS and Windows, and supports several languages, with a general focus on data science, and strong current support for Python and R. The conda packages distributed are used by over 20 million people worldwide.
Applicants should include references to any and all relevant professional social media accounts that display their work and contributions (e.g. LinkedIn, Github, Bitbucket, Gitlab, StackOverflow, Project Euler, Codewars, HackerRank, Anaconda Cloud).
What You’ll Do:
- Be a key member of the Anaconda Distribution team making impactful changes that the large Anaconda ecosystem benefits from every day
- Attend daily SCRUM meetings, sprint demos, etc.
- Create and update advanced conda recipes used to build conda packages
- Build, test and release conda packages
- Make each day count: Identify repetitive manual tasks and find solutions to automate them
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda mailing lists (https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/forum/#!forum/anaconda)
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda-issues github repository (https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues)
What You Need:
- 5 plus years of development experience
- Experience coding in Python or some shell scripting (bash, MS-DOS batch, powershell) to automate rote system-level tasks
- Working knowledge of linux
- Able to fix bugs in software written in a range of languages and contribute fixes to the upstream projects
- Familiarity with git or other version control software
- Persistent drive to improve workflows and make things better
- Ability to troubleshoot complex problems
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Continuous learning and sharing: Asking questions, sharing information, and understanding the “why” for your work and our team’s work
- Able to work well on a team as well as independently
- Team attitude: “I am not done, until WE are done”
- Identify with our core values:
- Ability & Humility
- Innovation & Action
- Empathy & Connection
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Experience in C (dealing with Python and R interpreters)
- Familiarity with compilers like MS Visual Studio, gcc, clang, gfortran, Makefiles, CMake and Autotools.
- Comfortable with building software using MSBuild, CMake, nmake, or similar, able to dig into any build system or code-base to diagnose and fix problems.
- Familiarity with the shared library mechanisms on Windows, macOS and Linux, and techniques for diagnosing and resolving missing or mismatched libraries.
- Experience building conda recipes and packages and uploading them to Anaconda Cloud
- Experience with other Anaconda open source projects and tools
- Familiar with building installers (Windows NSIS installers, macOS GUI installers, shell installers, others)
- Some experience with packaging software for a Software Distribution would be advantageous (Homebrew, Linux, Cygwin, MSYS2 etc).
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Unique opportunity to translate strong open source adoption and user enthusiasm into commercial product growth
- Dynamic company that rewards high performers
- On the cutting edge of enterprise application of data science, machine learning and AI
- Collaborative team environment that values multiple perspectives and clear thinking
- Employees-first culture
- Flexible working hours and work-from-home Wednesdays
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life and 401K
- Health fitness membership or reimbursement
- Paid parental leave - both mothers and fathers
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Open vacation policy
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.