at Anaconda (View all jobs)
Role: Software engineer
Reports to: Anaconda Distribution Manager
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
Help Us Shape the Future of Data
Anaconda is the creator of the world’s most popular Python data science platform. With more than 11 million users, the open source Anaconda Distribution is the easiest way to do data science and machine learning. Anaconda Enterprise allows organizations to collaborate, govern and deploy their Python and R data science in enterprise data centers and clouds. Customers include leading companies from the banking and financial services, energy, auto, technology, and healthcare industries.
Anaconda is seeking people who want to play a role in shaping the future of enterprise AI, machine learning, and data science. Candidates should be knowledgeable and capable, but always eager to learn more and to teach others. Overall, we strive to create a culture that is both relaxed and focused, and we stress empathy and collaboration with our customers, open source users, and each other. Our primary employee perk is that we are actively working on projects that have a global impact, whether it's detecting fraud in the financial markets, accelerating cancer research, or fighting human trafficking and terrorism.
Anaconda is looking for a motivated entry-level developer to join the Anaconda Distribution team. The role will involve authoring and updating conda recipes and building conda packages and developing tools and automation around those recipes. Conda is an open source package and environment management system for installing multiple versions of software packages and their dependencies and switching easily between them. It works on Linux, macOS and Windows, and supports several languages, with a general focus on data science, and strong current support for Python and R. The conda packages distributed are used by over 11 million people worldwide.
Applicants should include references to any and all relevant professional social media accounts that display their work and contributions (e.g. LinkedIn, Github, Bitbucket, Gitlab, StackOverflow, Project Euler, Codewars, HackerRank, Anaconda Cloud). Please include a cover letter with your application explaining your interest in this position. All qualified candidates must be in Austin, or willing to relocate to Austin.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a key member of the Anaconda Distribution team
- Attend daily SCRUM meetings, sprint demos, etc.
- Create and update conda recipes used to build conda packages
- Build, test and release conda packages
- Identify repetitive manual tasks and automate them
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda mailing lists (https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/forum/#!forum/anaconda)
- Answer/resolve issues on the anaconda-issues github repository (https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues)
What You Need:
- Basic knowledge of Python or some shell scripting (bash, MS-DOS batch, powershell) to automate rote system-level tasks
- Persistent drive to improve workflows and make things better
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work well on a team as well as independently
- Must be based in Austin, TX area or willing to relocate
What Will Make You Stand Out:
- Able to fix bugs in software written in a range of languages and contribute fixes to the upstream projects
- Familiarity with git or other version control software
- Familiarity with compilers like MS Visual Studio, gcc, clang, gfortran, Makefiles, CMake and Autotools.
- Comfortable with building software using MSBuild, CMake, nmake, or similar, able to dig into any build system or code-base to diagnose and fix problems.
- Familiarity with the shared library mechanisms on Windows, macOS and Linux, and techniques for diagnosing and resolving missing or mismatched libraries.
- Experience building conda recipes and packages and uploading them to Anaconda Cloud
- Experience with other Anaconda open source projects and tools
- Familiar with building installers (Windows NSIS installers, macOS GUI installers, shell installers, others)
- Some experience with packaging software for a Software Distribution would be advantageous (Homebrew, Linux, Cygwin, MSYS2 etc).
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Dynamic company that rewards high-performers
- Be on the cutting edge of new technologies and services
- Collaborative team environment that values multiple perspectives and fresh thinking
- Employees First culture
- Wok home Wednesdays (optional)
- Casual dress code
- Flexible working hours
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life and 401K
- Pre IPO Stock options
- Unlimited Vacation!