Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 140 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 80 million lives.
Reporting to the Vice President, Technical Services the Director, Services Engineering will play a critical role in the Technical Services at an exciting time as we build out our new Converge platform and migrate our clients from legacy solutions to cloud service-oriented solutions. They will build, lead and mentor a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, cultivating execution and decision-making, all while delighting our customers and propelling our team to execute on projects with quality and efficiency. Projects will be a mix of billable and non-billable corporate and client development projects related to our SDK, our application framework, FHIR integrations and our consumer facing website among others. Operating with speed and scalability in mind, they will provide thought leadership and drive the strategy by which we expand billable development services for our client base inclusive of health systems, health plans, employers and vendors. They will leverage their technical expertise, advanced communication and relationship management skills to nurture and influence both internal and external parties.
- Recruit, lead and coach a team of diversely skilled engineers by defining team and individual goals, managing performance and encouraging continuous skill growth
- Define, communicate and continuously improve cross-functional processes in support of new billable development services that will ensure accurate capture of requirements, accurate scope estimations, client satisfaction, high quality code and on-time delivery.
- Lead the strategy to migrate existing SDK clients from their custom legacy implementations to our Converge replacement solution
- Create, measure and monitor actionable performance metrics that convey the state of our operations and measure impact to clients. Align and motivate the team to deliver with these metrics in mind.
- Coordinate and collaborate with multiple disciplines at Amwell (Engineering, Dev Ops, Product, UI/UX, Professional Services, Business Intelligence) to convey client needs, articulate technical challenges and blockers while staying abreast of new functionality and roadmap items
- Partner with Core R&D architecture to design technical apps and solutions that meet the needs of our clients/partners but also adhere to guiding corporate principles for software development, security and performance. Ensure alignment on technical dependencies across teams.
- Become an expert on Amwell platform and opportunities for an external party to integrate with Amwell.
- Be able to present highly technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences including C-suite and devise creative solutions to solve client needs using platform components
- Willingness to be hands-on when required, and own problems entirely and seek out knowledge or inputs you are missing to reach resolution.
- Provide high level guidance and direction on project work, making sure that new projects fit in with an overall technical vision of Amwell and the client.
- 8+ years experience within software engineering especially SDK technologies, APIs and application framework development, cloud-based infrastructure, AWS/GCP, Java, Angular
- 10+ years of management experience leading engineering and/or highly technical services teams with Agile processes. Experience leading local and offshore teams is a must.
- 7+ years in a client-facing technical management role is highly desired
- A bias to action & ability to foster creativity, help teams generate ideas and new ways of doing business.
- Dynamic speaker with the ability to lead highly technical discussions using MS Office suite with all levels in a client organization and devise custom solutions where appropriate.
- Skilled relationship-builder and cross-functional collaborator with proven leadership and teamwork abilities, able to manage priorities and drive results across all stakeholders in a remote-first culture
- Prior experience migrating a large client base from legacy to SOA-based, multi-tenant technology is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to drive creative, efficient solutions
- Ability to set priorities, guide your own learning and contribute to domain knowledge
- Ability to multitask with proven tight deadline experience in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience evaluating vendors, products, and tools to determine business and technical viability
- BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- Healthcare industry experience preferred.
Working at Amwell:
Amwell is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our Core Values include One Team, Customer First, and Deliver Awesome. Customer First and Deliver Awesome are all about our product and services and how we strive to serve. As part of One Team, we operate the Amwell Cares program, which brings needed assistance to our communities, whether that be free healthcare for the underserved or for people affected by natural disasters, support for equality, honoring doctors and nurses, or annual Amwell-matched donations to food banks. Amwell aims to be a force for good for our employees, our clients, and our communities.
Amwell cares deeply about and supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. These initiatives are highlighted and reflected within our Three DE&I Pillars - our Workplace, our Workforce and our Community.
Amwell is a "virtual first" workplace, which means you can work from anywhere, coming together physically for ideation, collaboration and client meetings. We enable our employees with the tools, resources and opportunities to do their jobs effectively wherever they are! Amwell has collaboration spaces in Boston, Tysons Corner, Portland, Woodland Hills, and Seattle.
- Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans