Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 140 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 80 million lives.
The Principal Data Scientist is an expert-level statistician who provides leadership on the analyses and statistical forecasts of telemedicine activity on Amwell, including managing relationships with internal business partners. The candidate is a self-starter with insatiable curiosity, a polished communicator, relationship builder, and teacher. S/he has the wisdom and technical expertise to understand the limitations of statistical and machine learning methods as well the ability to explain his/her approach and results.
- Independently lead relationships with internal stakeholders as a trusted expert
- Identify, lead and develop analyses and statistical forecasts of telemedicine demand and supply on Amwell (and drivers of demand and supply)
- Identify and lead development of scalable and automated analytic processes and workflows
- Identify and lead development of novel data assets (e.g. data enrichment and integration) and metrics (e.g. feature engineering and data reduction) that deepen insight into drivers of telemedicine activity, improves model accuracy, and broadens industry knowledge.
- Translate analytic needs into plans and guides the development of statistical modeling ideas across the department
- Analyze data and deliverables for anomalies and errors
- Build intuitive and modern analytic products, including incorporating data visualization best practices
- Exercising considerable creativity, foresight, and judgement in conceiving, planning, and delivering initiatives
- Document programming scripts, processes, and deliverables
- Develop internal network of colleagues, based on a reputation for collaboration, execution, and high-quality work
- Stay abreast of analytic technologies (e.g. Data storage and analytics on/with Google Cloud, AWS, R, Python, Tableau, etc.)
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Masters or higher in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Computational Sciences)
- Expert knowledge of mathematical statistics
- Expert data visualization skills
- Exceptional degree of technical expertise, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Able to apply expert judgement to devise solutions that consider multiple and future perspectives, often for unclearly defined problems
- 10+ years of experience as a data scientist/applied statistician (e.g., building advanced statistical and machine learning models), working with both “big” and sparse data
- 8+ years of SQL, including complex queries from multiple data sources
- 8+ years of developing scalable and automated analytic processes/workflows
- Expert level proficiency with R, Python, Stata, or other high level data analytic programming languages
- Knowledge of BI tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker, PowerBI, Domo) is a plus
- Capable of working on multiple projects and context shift quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to translate incomplete or immature objectives into well- defined requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- 5+ years of experience in the SaaS industry is a plus
- Familiarity with the health care industry is a plus
Working at Amwell:
Amwell is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our Core Values include One Team, Customer First, and Deliver Awesome. Customer First and Deliver Awesome are all about our product and services and how we strive to serve. As part of One Team, we operate the Amwell Cares program, which brings needed assistance to our communities, whether that be free healthcare for the underserved or for people affected by natural disasters, support for equality, honoring doctors and nurses, or annual Amwell-matched donations to food banks. Amwell aims to be a force for good for our employees, our clients, and our communities.
Amwell cares deeply about and supports Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. These initiatives are highlighted and reflected within our Three DE&I Pillars - our Workplace, our Workforce and our Community.
Amwell is a "virtual first" workplace, which means you can work from anywhere, coming together physically for ideation, collaboration and client meetings. We enable our employees with the tools, resources and opportunities to do their jobs effectively wherever they are! Amwell has collaboration spaces in Boston, Tysons Corner, Portland, Woodland Hills, and Seattle.
- Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans