Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 140 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 80 million lives.
As Director of QA Engineering, you’ll oversee the team responsible for all aspects of testing strategy, process, and execution across Amwell’s cloud-based, devops-driven microservices platform. Our development approach consists of many (30+) independent and self-directed Agile squads working on contract-based, interacting microservices and serverless components in the AWS cloud that are built, tested, and deployed via IAC-generated Gitlab pipelines.
- Manage teams of managers and QA automation engineers, with focus on delivering on-time, measurable and continuously improving quality to the Amwell telehealth platform.
- Work closely with DevOps/SRE and Software Development to oversee the creation and refinement of the automated testing infrastructure/guardrails within which development squads operate.
- Define and refine automated test structure and ensure adherence and consistency and test coverage across all levels of the test pyramid (unit, integration, E2E) across teams.
- Establish deep knowledge and subject matter expertise on the testing and automation frameworks employed at Amwell, and direct future framework selections/changes as well as buy-vs-build decisions.
- Direct QA automation engineers as needed as they implement, debug, and maintain high-level intra and inter-service integration and E2E tests.
- Define and report on metrics used to assess software quality and QA team effectiveness.
- Build, maintain and grow your team, with primary responsibility for hiring, assessing, and retaining high-performing team members.
- Work with, and present status/results to, stakeholders in Product Management, Engineering, UX/UI, and Executive management on the planning, tracking and delivery of high quality software.
- Manage several simultaneous projects at a tactical level (prioritization of work, multi-team progress against milestones, blocker resolution, upward reporting, inter-group communications).
- Work under minimal supervision balancing multiple competing priorities while given wide latitude for independent judgment and decision making.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of management experience leading multiple QA engineering teams in a SaaS environment.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in a senior QA Automation Engineer or Software-Developer-In-Test role working on enterprise-level SaaS software in the AWS cloud.
- Deep experience with a continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment platform such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Experience with geographically distributed teams a plus.
- Experience with the following testing frameworks: Rest-Assured, Selenium, Appium
- Experience defining a mission for teams executing deliverables on time in a fast-paced environment working against aggressive timelines.
- A strong track record of retaining, engaging & growing engineering talent.
- Strong ability to foster and maintain a positive and creative work environment for teams including resolving conflict within and between teams.
- Excellent communication skills and a high level of comfort presenting to upper-management and executive level stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a technical field.
Should you join Amwell and the Engineering team, you can expect:
The development organization is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers dedicated to creating a state of the art TeleHealth experience on every platform we can get our hands on. Our cross-functional teams follow a pragmatic Agile methodology as we balance feature requests, strategic initiatives, tech debt, and exciting partnerships on the path to delivering a market leading product to a quickly growing customer base. We work hand in hand with the whole Amwell organization to ensure that our product meets the needs of all of our users.
Working at Amwell
Amwell is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Amwell cares deeply about diversity, equity, and inclusion, in the work that we do and the culture that we maintain.
With teams located across areas such as Boston, Reston, Seattle and TelAviv we embrace a distributed workforce, allowing our employees to work from anywhere. To stay connected and build our team culture we utilize collaboration technology and regularly get together for team strategy sessions, events and activities.
- Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- The equipment and resources needed to be successful working in a remote setting