Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 240 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 150 million lives.
The Senior Interoperability Engineer will play a critical role within the Technical Services team. Specifically, they will be responsible for using their healthcare industry experience to scope, build and deploy integration deliverables between the American Well platform and our clients’ 3rd party systems. They will impart leadership to ensure deliverables are prioritized appropriately, executed on time and with the highest quality. They will define and enforce process throughout the implementation lifecycle and own assigned client projects and escalations.
- Design, build and maintain interfaces that facilitate workflows between the Amwell platform and client third party systems as scoped
- Drive the creation and organization of knowledge collateral for employee onboarding, client-facing presentations and cross-functional learning that enables autonomy and business growth.
- Define and enforce a highly scalable and repeatable methodology for the implementation of our standard integration offerings along with a set of documentation templates that are uniformly used across client projects.
- Lead client-facing requirement discovery and solutioning sessions and assist with pre-sale technical presentations as needed
- Document message specifications and technical requirements, including but not limited to reverse engineering of existing healthcare IT interfaces to capture requirements when needed
- Enforce documentation of generic and client-specific integration workflows, routes, and communication port configurations to ensure proper versioning, thorough testing for all variations and an audit trail of what and why
- Enforce Production Support protocols and timelines as defined by the Engineering Support team
- Drive team initiatives that support and enable the achievement of our annual corporate and team KPIs
- Contribute to the diagnosis of platform technical issues when requested.
- 7+ years of experience scoping and/or developing integration solutions that enable the flow of information between major clinical and ancillary systems i.e. registration, scheduling, billing, order entry, EMRs, HIEs.
- 5+ years of experience vetting and delivering custom healthcare integration solutions as scoped to satisfy critical client workflows. Actual client-facing experience is required.
- Extensive experience with healthcare interoperability and messaging standards, including but not limited to FHIR and IHE integration profiles. HL7 experience is preferred.
- Expertise with interface engines and/or enterprise service bus architectures. Orion Rhapsody experience is preferred.
- Experience working with SOAP and REST based web services
- Working knowledge of networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, …)
- Strong understanding of XML technologies (XML, XSD, XSL/XSLT)
- Experience with SSO and SAML 2.0
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and create order in a fast-paced agile environment
- Experience working in situations where strong cross-functional alignment is required for project success; strong relationship-building skills, collaborative.
- Critical thinker, curious, accountable, strong work ethic, able to succeed in a fast-paced, high-intensity start-up environment
- Self-starter, able to work independently, able to succeed in a fast-paced, high intensity start-up environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrated experience managing difficult clients particularly at the leadership level
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills with ability to manage multiple simultaneous customer engagements
- Ability to evaluate and interpret end user information requirements, and to develop and implement appropriate technical solutions
- Extensive experience relaying technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated expert problem solving and analytical skills
- Prior management experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Computer Science, Math, Physics, or related field or equivalent. Advanced degree in any of the areas above is a plus.
Technical Services delivers client specific platform configurations, custom reporting needs and integration solutions enabling our platform to work hand in hand with third party systems across our customer base. We love to troubleshoot and diagnose production defects, innovate to expand our out–of-the-box platform and work directly with clients.
Whether you’re an advocate for the latest and greatest iOS and Android features, are committed to the ideal back-end architecture, or are dedicated to providing the best web usability, we have a place for you on our team.
Working at Amwell
We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Competitive health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- On-site gym – free to use and open 24/7
- Prime office space with roof deck access and views overlooking all of Boston
- Café lounge stocked with a wide range of complimentary snacks, coffee and other beverages.