Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 240 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 150 million lives.
Can you take a product vision and translate it into a working solution? Our team is searching for a person with experience designing and developing embedded software who can help solve some of our most challenging telehealth device engineering problems. The Firmware Engineer will play a key role in designing and bringing revolutionary products to market. Working closely with cross-functional teams, the engineer will use cutting edge tools and approaches to deliver awesome products, that create amazing user experiences in surprisingly short timelines. You’ll be key part of our engineering team and helping us revolutionize the access people have to healthcare services.
- Create and test firmware (bare metal and using an embedded RTOS)
- Write firmware to control devices (sensors, USB devices, audio/video devices, etc.)
- Write firmware to interface with a custom Linux OS and video codecs (Cisco/Polycom)
- Expand upon the current codebase to bring new features to existing product lines
- Create and maintain processes for development and testing of firmware for safety-critical, fault-tolerant operation
- Collaborate with internal teams (Device Engineering, Software Engineering, and Product Management) to deliver products on-time and to specification
- Design and develop robust communication protocols
- Work with 3rd party vendors to support their hardware on the American Well platform
- Evaluate processes, tools and approaches to potentially incorporate into how we develop products to ensure we are always learning and improving
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 2 – 4 years experience in C coding (TI-RTOS, Tivaware, or Atmel experience are a plus)
- Familiarity with embedded Linux, RTOS operating systems, web connectivity and IoT
- Experience with the following devices is a plus: medical devices; mobile carts, power supplies, cable assemblies, computer and video equipment
- Driven to own the process and deliver the solution
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to evolve strategy based on research, data and industry trends
- Strong communication and organizational skills
Should you join Amwell and the Devices team, you can expect:
Amwell’s Device Engineering group is a mission-focused technology team made up the best and brightest technical talent. Operating out of our office in Reston, VA, our engineers specialize in electrical, mechanical, firmware, software, and embedded systems design and development. We design, develop, and test cutting-edge telehealth systems in a fast-paced interdisciplinary team.
Our mission is to transform healthcare and to be the premier distributor of provider services by creating and operationalizing devices that enable consumption of telemedicine, deliver an awesome user experience and capture exceptional business value
If you enjoy working hard, challenging yourself, and staying at the cutting edge of technology, this is the team for you.
Working at Amwell
We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Our Reston office is located at 12018 Sunrise Valley Drive. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology, we offer:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 401K match
- Competitive health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Complimentary shuttle service - runs throughout the day to shopping center and closest metro station
- On-site gym - Free 24/7 access with towels & toiletries provided
- Free parking in garage
- Fully stocked kitchen - complimentary fresh fruit, yogurt, snacks and beverages