The Cleveland Clinic/Amwell joint venture was launched in 2020 revolutionize comprehensive and high-acuity care services via telehealth. This new company’s initial focus is transforming the $5 billion, global second opinion market, with a vision to expand into other telehealth solutions. The JV offers virtual care from Cleveland Clinic's highly specialized experts through American Well's leading-edge digital health technology platform.
Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. Cleveland Clinic has pioneered many medical breakthroughs, including coronary artery bypass surgery and the first face transplant in the United States. U.S. News & World Report consistently names Cleveland Clinic as one of the nation's best hospitals in its annual "America's Best Hospitals" survey. With locations in Cleveland: Florida; Las Vegas; Toronto, Canada; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and London, England, Cleveland Clinic served 7.9 million total outpatient visits, in 2018. clevelandclinic.org.
Amwell is a leading telehealth platform in the United States and globally, connecting and enabling providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. Amwell believes that digital care delivery will transform healthcare. We offer a single, comprehensive platform to support all telehealth needs from urgent to acute and post-acute care, as well as chronic care management and healthy living. With over a decade of experience, Amwell powers telehealth solutions for over 240 health systems comprised of 2,000 hospitals and 55 health plan partners with over 36,000 employers, covering over 150 million lives.
The Senior Vice President (SVP) of Sales will play a critical role in building out and leading the Sales department. Specifically, the SVP will identify, develop, lead and ensure closure of new business revenue opportunities primarily in the United States. The SVP will lead both new direct sales (nationally and internationally) as well as develop channel and broker relationships. Additionally, the SVP will play a leadership role in working with account management to expand and upsell existing strategic accounts. This position requires a high-energy, entrepreneurial, visionary, well-rounded sales leader who can build a growing a sales team while effectively leading and closing new business opportunities.
A strong background in healthcare sales, preferably with health plans, brokers, and employers, is critical. Experience with demonstrating value and differentiators, member engagement, employee and member benefits, and taking new products to market are essential in order to work alongside prospective clients in their acquisition and deployment of telehealth. The sales process is expected to be strongly consultative.
Along with identifying and developing new sales opportunities, the selected leader will have a deep understanding in operating / driving a high-performance sales team, including: lead generation and qualification, pipeline and opportunity management, polished proposal and presentation execution, and managing overall opportunities from qualification to close. A proven track record in growing revenue, working collaboratively with internal business partners, and successfully driving results on a quarterly basis is essential.
- Provide management and leadership for all sales activities
- Create multi-year sales plan and strategy, aligned with company business plan and priorities
- Build, forecast, and deliver sales pipeline (including process and methodology to accurately forecast), preferably with CRMs like SalesForce.com
- Ensure the sales pipeline is correctly managed, opportunities are accelerated, and the results meet sales expectations
- Develop and execute multi-million-dollar sales opportunities from end-to-end
- Create compelling sales stories and pitches communicating clinical, economic, and emotional value propositions
- Conduct sales presentations, progress the opportunity through the sales process, and work collaboratively with senior company leadership to close sales opportunities
- Engage and excite key stakeholders around digital clinical services and programs
- Build C-level relationships with strategic prospects & clients
- Work with Operations team to oversee account management operations to ensure that clients are correctly supported and upsell opportunities are identified
- Build-out the sales team over time to support sales growth goals
- Drive visibility and transparency across sales operations to ensure common understanding of all prospects and markets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA in business, healthcare, computer science or equivalent; advanced business or health degree strongly encouraged
- 10-15 years' experience in sales of healthcare programs and services and enterprise software to payers; the ideal candidate will have sold technology products or clinical services to health plan and health system executives
- Deep understanding of payer/care management companies and related healthcare landscape
- Documented track record of selling large, enterprise-wide, complex technology deals
- Ability to communicate business and outcome value of technology solutions, specific experience with telemedicine and digital health products & services a bonus
- Deep experience in forecasting and managing sales pipelines
- Consistent track record of meeting and exceeding annual quota
- Excellent communication skills — with strong interpersonal, C-Suite presentation, and communication skills (both written and oral), to both clinical and business stakeholders
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that reflect the core values of the JV
- Comfortable working in a startup environment
- Ability to travel regularly as needed
Working at The Joint Venture
This joint venture is a partnership between American Well and Cleveland Clinic, where the two parent organizations founded the company on the mission of ‘Delivering Superior Care via Digital Innovation’. The vision for the Cleveland Clinic / American Well joint venture is to be the world leader in digital care delivery. Together, the organization will transform how care is delivered through online technology, led by clinical innovation from providers at Cleveland Clinic. We’re a “go getter” culture that prides itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. Our core values are centered around: enhancing patient and provider trust, democratizing care, improving outcomes and economics for our customers, and fostering partnership and collaboration across the healthcare ecosystem.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive base salary, commission structure, and equity program
- The Cleveland Clinic / American Well Joint Venture offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, paid holidays, and 401k.