About The Role & Team
Amplitude’s mission is to be the operating system for digital business. At its core, Amplitude provides a new window into digital customer behavior that helps businesses answer the question: “Where do we place our digital bets to maximize growth?” We approach challenges with humility, we take ownership of our contributions, and our growth mindset pushes us to constantly improve ourselves, each other, and the value we bring to customers and partners.
As Amplitude’s first Corporate Counsel, you will build our corporate function and have responsibility for all corporate legal matters, including corporate governance matters, corporate entity management (including for international expansion), and all strategic transactions. You’ll also have the opportunity to develop skills in, and own, a wide variety of matters as additional legal needs arise. You’re an ideal fit for the role if you’re an experienced lawyer with tremendous capability, intelligence and integrity, and a leader who is highly motivated to drive immediate impact across the company.
As Senior Corporate Counsel, you will:
- Prepare and review board and committee materials; development and management of our corporate governance programs; and advise on all other board related matters
- Support corporate governance processes, including general record keeping, preparation of board and committee meeting agendas, presentations, resolutions, consents, minutes, and other materials
- Have experience with SEC and stock exchange reporting and requirements, including preparation and filing of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements, Section 16 reports and 1934 Act filings, including leading and filing all securities documentation
- Provide support for corporate development activities, including mergers and acquisitions and strategic corporate partnerships
- Support international corporate governance, international registration, compliance and management of subsidiary entities both domestic and international
- Provide general advice and counsel to leaders in Amplitude’s Finance, Accounting, Tax, Insurance, and Investor Relations teams
- Work closely with our equity team on equity matters, including equity plans, and compensation issues
- Help counsel the business with respect to other legal matters, including tax and insurance
You'll be a great addition to the team if you have:
- 12+ years of experience as a corporate securities or corporate transactions attorney (a mix of law firm and in-house experience at a public company is preferred)
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
- Experience with SEC and stock exchange reporting and requirements, including preparation and filing of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements, Section 16 reports and 1934 Act filings, including leading and filing all securities documentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize and present complex ideas simply and understandably to employees at all levels as well as to our management team and board
- Creates clarity and brings focus and direction to the most important priorities that will drive the biggest impact, mitigate the most significant risks, and deliver the greatest return on the investment of time and resources
- Has a proven track record of fostering a team culture based on empathy, collaboration, mutual respect, and is someone who genuinely cares about the people they lead
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, and capable of dealing with and navigating ambiguity
- Intellectually curious, humble (no task is too big or too small), and—through it all—doesn’t take themselves too seriously
Who We Are
The Company: Amplitude is filled with humble, life-long learners who are eager to help one another and the company succeed. Our values of growth mindset, ownership, and humility are core to the way we work: we’re tenacious in the face of challenges, we take the initiative to solve problems that drive our shared success, and we operate from a place of empathy and openness, seeking to understand many points of view.
We care about the well-being of our team: along with excellent health insurance, we offer flexible time off, a monthly wellness stipend, a 12-week parental leave, a generous Learning & Development stipend, and a full 10 year window to exercise your stock options. And when our offices are open, we offer delicious in-office lunch, dinner, & snacks, and commuting benefits.
The Product: Amplitude is a product intelligence platform– we help companies understand their users, rapidly release better product experiences, and grow their business. We’re super proud of what we’ve built and continue to build on: a platform that enables companies to thrive.
Amplitude powers digital upstarts like Calm and Peloton and technology leaders like Microsoft and Paypal, but also 100+ year old companies like Ford, as they rethink their digital revenue strategy.
Other fun facts about Amplitude:
- Amplitude is a tech startup to bet your career on in 2021, according to Business Insider.
- Amplitude is one of the best software products on the market according to G2.
- Founded in 2012, Amplitude is backed by Sequoia Capital, GIC, IVP, Battery Ventures, Benchmark Capital, Y Combinator and other top tier investors.
- We recently raised our Series F funding ($150M) led by Sequoia Capital, and crossed into the 4 x Unicorn status with a valuation of $4BN.
- More than 1,200 customers, including 26 of the Fortune 100.
- We have offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, Amsterdam, London, Paris, and Singapore.
- Our mascot is the datamonster, who loves to chow down on all your numbers, charts, and graphs. Nom nom.
Amplitude provides equal employment opportunities (EEO). All applicants are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Amplitude’s D&I Commitment: Amplitude believes that diversity enables creation of better products, ability to solve complex problems, and drive more powerful solutions. In order to make diversity possible, we commit to striving to create an environment of inclusion: an environment focused on psychological safety, empathy, and human connection, which will allow employees of all backgrounds to feel the care they need to thrive.