About The Role & Team
We're looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help build out our analytics engine and aren't afraid to tackle big challenges in a fast growing data company. Our engineers are leading the efforts to drive our large scale distributed systems to the 10x level while making innovations to our industry leading analytics capabilities. As a Staff member of the Query team, you will be leading efforts that covers the full software development life cycle of the underlying distributed systems that power our core analytics product. You will be working at all layers of the analytics engine from the high level analytics algorithms to the low level distributed computation and storage layer. Our systems are based on the modern cloud stack e.g. AWS S3, DynamoDB, Redis/ElastiCache, Kafka, Kubernetes, Terraform, Java, Python. You will be collaborating and sharing your ideas with a group of similarly innovative and curious engineers.
Our analytics engine (Nova) provides us with a competitive edge where we are able to provide customers with complex insights in real-time, using real-time data, and at big data scale. A single larger query would require analyzing hundreds of billions of user events in real-time. We achieved this by building an in-house analytics engine from the ground up, from the low level distributed storage and computation layer to the high level product analytics logic. Our design and architecture draws inspiration from many state of the art systems in the big data space e.g. lambda architecture, map-reduce, columnar storage. Check out our engineering blog to learn more.
- Technical lead for projects/features that have high business impact
- Contribute to the technical direction of the team, product, and systems
- Lead performance optimization and scaling efforts
- Take product ideas from ideation to implementation
- Develop components and services that expand the capabilities of our analytics product
- Participate and collaborate with Product and Design Team to iterate on our product
- Lead engineering discussions and mentor others on engineering best practices
- Mentor and contribute to the success of junior engineers
Skills and Experience
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or another technical field
- 7+ years of industry experience in a Software Engineering role
- Strong foundation in programming, data structures, algorithms, and software application design
- Passionate about solving challenging problems and iterating quickly
- Experience with Java or Python is a plus
- Previous experience in distributed systems, data processing and analytics is a plus
- Technical leadership of an engineering team is a plus
Who We Are
Amplitude is built on a culture of having a growth mindset, humility, and ownership. We empower our teams to build with autonomy and collaboration and are committed to continual improvement. For more insight into how we work and what life is like at Amplitude, take a look at our KeyValues profile: https://www.keyvalues.com/amplitude
The Company: Amplitude is filled with humble, life-long learners who are eager to help one another and the company succeed. Our values of growth mindset, ownership, and humility are core to the way we work: we’re tenacious in the face of challenges, we take the initiative to solve problems that drive our shared success, and we operate from a place of empathy and openness, seeking to understand many points of view.
We care about the well-being of our team! We offer:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible time off
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Delicious in-office lunch, dinner, & snacks
- Commuter benefits
- 12-week parental leave
- Generous Learning & Development stipend
- Full 10 year window to exercise your stock options.
The Product: Amplitude is the world's #1 product intelligence platform– we empower teams to use customer data to build great product experiences for growth. We’re super proud of what we’ve built and continue to build on: a platform that enables companies to thrive.
Other fun facts about Amplitude
- Our extraordinary founders were accepted into Y Combinator back in 2012– since then, we’ve opened offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, Amsterdam, London, Paris, and Singapore.
- Our Leadership Team is 43% women– well above the Silicon Valley average
- Our fearless mascot is the datamonster, our fearless leader is CEO & co-founder Spenser Skates
- In December 2018, we raised $80 million in Series D venture funding led by Sequoia Capital at a valuation of $850 million
- We’re backed by incredible partners: Sequoia Capital, IVP, Battery Ventures, Benchmark Capital, and Y Combinator
- Over 30,000 teams and 20 of the Fortune 100 use Amplitude to improve conversion and retention
Amplitude provides equal employment opportunities (EEO). All applicants are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Amplitude’s D&I Commitment: Amplitude believes that diversity enables creation of better products, ability to solve complex problems, and drive more powerful solutions. In order to make diversity possible, we commit to striving to create an environment of inclusion: an environment focused on psychological safety, empathy, and human connection, which will allow employees of all backgrounds to feel the care they need to thrive.