About The Role & Team
Amplitude’s mission is to be the operating system for digital business. At its core, Amplitude provides a new window into digital customer behavior that helps businesses answer the question: “Where do we place our digital bets to maximize growth?” We approach challenges with humility, we take ownership of our contributions, and our growth mindset pushes us to constantly improve ourselves, each other, and the value we bring to customers and partners.
The Data Connections team is responsible for the scalable realtime pipeline to get data in and out of Amplitude. Data Connections team works as an early stage startup within Amplitude, trying to create a new data platform to support customers collect the right data and enhance the value of the data by powering more workflows outside of Amplitude as well. Currently this platform processes and moves around 800 petabytes of data per month and our target is to grow this by 10x in a year through new product initiatives.
In this role, you will solve hardcore Infrastructure challenges like designing for extreme throughput, designing/optimizing systems with millisecond latencies, building resilient systems to achieve close to zero downtime. In this role, you will also get to closely work with Product and Customers to define the strategy and roadmap for our core product and new features.
Our product sits on top of many modern technologies, including Real-Time Stream processing, Kafka, Redis/Elasticache, Amazon S3, DynamoDB, Kubernetes, Terraform. You will share your ideas with a group of similarly innovative and curious engineers.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Take product ideas from ideation to implementation
- Develop backend services that integrates with various data warehouses and cloud services
- Optimize the performance and scale our data import/export infrastructure to server ever-increasing volume.
- Collaborate with Product and Design to iterate on our product
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Lead engineering discussions and mentor others on engineering best practices
- Mentor and contribute to the success of junior engineers
You'll be a great addition to the team if you have:
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or another technical field
- 4+ years of experience working in a Software Engineering role
- Strong foundation in programming, algorithms, and software application design
- Passionate about solving challenging problems and iterating quickly
- Previous experience with Python or Java is a plus
- Previous experience in distributed systems, data processing and analytics is a plus
- Previous experience with ETL/ETL pipelines is a plus
- Technical leadership of an engineering team is a plus
Who We Are
The Company: Amplitude is filled with humble, life-long learners who are eager to help one another and the company succeed. Our values of growth mindset, ownership, and humility are core to the way we work: we’re tenacious in the face of challenges, we take the initiative to solve problems that drive our shared success, and we operate from a place of empathy and openness, seeking to understand many points of view.
We care about the well-being of our team: along with excellent health insurance, we offer flexible time off, a monthly wellness stipend, a 12-week parental leave, a generous Learning & Development stipend, and a full 10 year window to exercise your stock options. And when our offices are open, we offer delicious in-office lunch, dinner, & snacks, and commuting benefits.
The Product: Amplitude is a product intelligence platform– we help companies understand their users, rapidly release better product experiences, and grow their business. We’re super proud of what we’ve built and continue to build on: a platform that enables companies to thrive.
Amplitude powers digital upstarts like Calm and Peloton and technology leaders like Microsoft and Paypal, but also 100+ year old companies like Ford, as they rethink their digital revenue strategy.
Other fun facts about Amplitude:
- Amplitude is a tech startup to bet your career on in 2021, according to Business Insider.
- Amplitude had a record year of growth in 2020 and grew employee headcount by 24%.
- Amplitude is one of the best software products on the market according to G2.
- Founded in 2012, Amplitude is backed by Sequoia Capital, IVP, Battery Ventures, Benchmark Capital, Y Combinator and other top tier investors.
- More than 20% of the Fortune 100 are customers of Amplitude as are innovative brands such as Calm, Microsoft, Ford, NBC Universal, Hubspot, PayPal and Peloton.
- We have offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, Amsterdam, London, Paris and Singapore.
- Our mascot is the datamonster, who loves to chow down on numbers, charts, and graphs. Nom nom.
Amplitude provides equal employment opportunities (EEO). All applicants are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Amplitude’s D&I Commitment: Amplitude believes that diversity enables creation of better products, ability to solve complex problems, and drive more powerful solutions. In order to make diversity possible, we commit to striving to create an environment of inclusion: an environment focused on psychological safety, empathy, and human connection, which will allow employees of all backgrounds to feel the care they need to thrive.