Ampaire is seeking an experienced Sr. Structural Engineer to help develop our aircraft retrofit products. In this role, working with the multidisciplinary engineers throughout the organization, you will: lead the design of primary and secondary and aircraft structures including metallic space frames and composite fairings; lead and oversee structural layouts in NX CAD; lead and oversee structural analysis using hand calculations and FEA; create and defend reports on aircraft structures compliant with FAA regulations; oversee the creation of and release of engineering drawings; specify the materials, processes and quality requirements for structural parts; develop manufacturing plans and assist with the development of prototype and production structural parts; develop and oversee structural qualification tests. Provide production and field support including MRB disposition for structural parts.
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 8+ years of increasing responsibilities including oversight of structural designers, analysts and drafters
- Proficient in aircraft structural design and analysis methods using CAD, hand calculations and FEA
- Proficient with aircraft structural materials including metallics and composites.
- Familiar with MMPDS
- Familiar with FAA regulations for aircraft structures
- Expert In drafting standards and ANSI Y14.5
- Experience with structural manufacturing methods and processes
- Experience with MRB dispositions
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking and communication skills
- Demonstrated strong decision-making skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and general users
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of the organization to achieve organizational objectives
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret technical data
- Able to write in a clear and concise manner
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from other departments
- Able to actively participate in multi-disciplined functional teams
- Able to communicate project status updates in a team environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Able to effectively plan, organize and complete work with minimal supervision
- Able to communicate complex technical information to other departments and functions
- Highly motivated to provide project deliverables on time and be able to establish priorities when multiple deliverables coincide
- Interest and ability to contribute to evolving work processes
- Passionate about structural engineering applications and process improvements
- MS in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- FAA structural DER
- Hands on composite fabrication experience
- Structural qualification test experience
- Proficient with NX CAD, Altair and Nastran FEA
- Successful FAA Certification of aircraft structures compliant with Part 23
- Proficient with requirements management tools and project management applications
- Familiar with Jama requirements management software
Ampaire is a tech startup based in California that is leading the charge in electric aviation. We're on a mission to provide the world with electric commercial flights that are affordable, quiet, and environmentally conscious. We're building the future of air travel, are reimagining the way people and their things fly. We are a practical and lean start-up that quickly iterates and learns, and this has allowed Ampaire to be among the first of the electric aviation companies to actually fly. We currently are flying what we believe to be the world’s largest electrified aircraft by weight and capacity.
We’re located at the intersection of aerospace and electric vehicles, right next to SpaceX and Tesla at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles County. As part of Starburst, the world’s top aerospace accelerator, we have access to an international support network. We're proud to have won multiple international awards as a Top Aerospace Startup (Hello Tomorrow, Paris), Top Electrification Startup (New Mobility Challenge, Los Angeles), and IEEE N3XT Stars. We've also been featured in Aviation Week for our creative business approach and early success. Our talented team brings a diverse background from top institutions including: Caltech, Stanford, USC, Northrop Grumman, SpaceX, Virgin Orbit, and General Motors.
- Health + Dental + Vision insurance
- Aviation Enthusiast Benefit credit
Equal Opportunity Employer:
At Ampaire, we are committed to building a more inclusive ecosystem that integrates women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups into the cleantech sector and aerospace industry. We strongly encourage applications from qualified applicants and members of underrepresented groups. Ampaire is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Ampaire is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.