The Product Engineering team builds and manages all parts of the Amino web stack, from user interfaces to backend services and the servers that run them. You will be collaborating with designers, product managers, data scientists, and engineers to develop user stories and bring them to life. The work you do will directly impact people and their ability to navigate and make informed choices within the extremely complex US healthcare system.
We are a small team who believes that success is a group activity; you should expect to learn from everyone at Amino and be excited to share your knowledge. You will play a big part in influencing the shape of the product and the technology we use, and will be empowered to make technical decisions and trade-off calls between scrappy ship-it pragmatism and the long-term maintainability of your code. Our current stack looks like:
- Frontend: ES6/Babel 7, React 16, Flow, SASS, Jinja
- Backend: Python 2 & 3, Flask, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redis, Spark
- DevOps: Docker, CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins), AWS (among others: EC2, ECS, RDS)
We have a UI component/css library you can check out here, and we use Sketch for design.
What we expect to see:
- Strong experience building responsive web interfaces for desktop and mobile, and experience with or interest in backend scripts and services
- Driven to make a positive impact on the world through your work
- Passion for growing your skills and solving problems that you have never faced before
- Energized by collaborating with others in a team setting
- Meticulous about testing and verifying your work
Nice to haves:
- Built, launched, and maintained consumer web products
- Experience with Python web frameworks (Flask, Django)
- Worked in an Agile test-driven or test-centric setting
- Built and maintained backend HTTP services
- Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL databases and how to evolve schemas over time
- Developed and deployed production applications using Docker
About the Team
The product engineering group at Amino is responsible for building and maintaining the amino.com app and all of the backend services and resources that power it. We value patience, kindness, and generosity, and we love working in an environment of mutual respect where we are challenged every day. We take time to teach and learn from each other. We have different backgrounds and levels of expertise, and are unified by our passion for simplifying the complex and making a meaningful impact on the world through our craft.
We work on cross-functional teams with product managers and designers to build products from early-stage concepts all the way through to live web products. We work with the Data Engineering and Data Science teams to take raw metadata and analysis tables and turn them into fast, reliable services used by our website and backend products. We ship early and often.
We primarily write our backends in Python using Flask, and our frontend is built using a toolkit of ES6/Babel, React, SASS, and Jinja. We run our systems using Linux, Nginx, Postgresql, Elasticsearch, Redis, and Spark. We use Docker to help develop and test exactly the code we run in production. We make use of many managed ops tools in the AWS ecosystem (EC2, ECS, Elasticache, RDS, Cloudwatch, Terraform) to accelerate our work. We strive for full test coverage to enable us to move quickly and refactor without fear. We make use of continuous integration to automate as much as possible, and practice thorough and thoughtful code reviews to support each other and provide opportunities for knowledge-sharing.