Are you organized, proactive and ambitious?
Are you passionate about beauty and product development?
If this sounds like you, here’s your perfect job!
We are currently seeking a Product Development Manager to join our team. This person will help lead the product development for all amika haircare products.
This position reports to the Director of Product Development and requires clear communication and coordination with many departments within the office – Product Development, Quality Control, Sales, Design, Marketing, Planning, Purchasing, etc.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages the Product Development team for all developments following through to Production for all HMS brands – amika and Eva NYC
- Ensures that the PD team is utilizing Asana in the correct way to ensure all project information is transparent, recorded, and easy to understand.
- Works with Director of PD to ensures timelines for all new developments are set, communicated, and met.
- Together with Director of PD, spearheading product ideation and conceptualization for new launches (market research, competitive analysis, innovation research, mood boards, creative copy, evaluating benchmarks, product briefs).
- Manages the communication with labs to quickly batch, test, or re-direct formulations in order to meet time-lines. Quickly change gears and alert cross functional team, Director and labs if projects increase or change priority.
- Works closely with cross functional teams (Production, Design, Marketing and external labs) to make sure that timelines, costing, testing etc is on track.
- Stay abreast of hair and beauty industry news, patents, new launches, new technology, raw materials, and scientific literature to create differentiated, high performing products for all HMS brands.
- Manage your team’s preparation of all new product briefs, F+B and PK sheets.
- Coordinates with all major departments; Marketing, Brand, Sales, Design, Production etc. to make sure all parts of 360 developments are on track and on time. Communicates any issues or delays to product launches or testing etc.
- Attends trade shows, events, and excursions for inspiration and learning to feed into innovation and ideation.
- Meets with salon & stylists to test products, receive feedback and make edits to products for launch.
- Assist the Product Development Director with blue-sky initiatives and
testing to foster innovation.
- Travel to suppliers, factories and offices as needed. Attend and manage production of new launches.
- Research and communicate latest ingredient and product trends, including latest product developments from competitors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of PD experience in beauty is a must. Hair Care preferred
- Exceptional project management, organization, and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and creative skills
- Exhibit strong leadership skills both externally with retailers and internally with teams.
- A strong sense of urgency, ability to prioritize, detail-oriented, exceptional problem solving, and time management skills are essential, as the position requires you to manage multiple projects with firm deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict management skills.
- Must be already located in New York City area. No relocation.
- Good knowledge of computer software including Asana, Microsoft Word and Excel
Work Model: Hybrid in-office/work from home schedule, with 3-4 mandatory trips per year to HQ in Brooklyn, NY (paid by company)
Additional job requirement: This job position requires in-person work as stated above, and therefore as company policy, you must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination will be requested before your first in-person work assignment.
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. (HMS) is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We have created fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our company culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brand teams and Product Development take an idea for a tool or product, and create versions for internal testing (employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio (sensestudio.nyc) creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations team produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture!
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy - and pursuing B-Corp certification!
- Shared core values among staff who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
Some benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance + product discount (70% off!)
- Paid vacation, sick and holiday time
- Paid volunteering hours
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit, along with your resume.