Do you want to work in a cool, young, inclusive beauty company?
Do you have an entrepreneurial mindset and the passion to thrive in a semi-startup environment?
Do you consider yourself a strategic decision maker?
If this sounds like you, here’s your perfect job!
In this role, you will report into our Brand President and work with her on strategic and operational activities that drive the company forward.
This will be a rewarding, intense, high-growth, and demanding role exposing you to all aspects of the business. You will serve as a force-multiplier to the President, managing her priorities, overseeing large brand initiatives, fill in short-term gaps in the organization, triage high priority needs and spearheading special projects.
Roles to play:
Gatekeeper — protecting the President’s time, taking unnecessary conversations off their plate and leading cross-cutting projects with no ego — help employees understand where you can be useful for them vs. a roadblock to the top
Counselor — acting as a close confidant, providing a sounding board and a critical ear, offering advice across a host of issues and speaking truth to power
Implementer — driving priorities to successful completion; bring ideas to life.
Proxy—communicating and acting in the President’s place.
Initiator—work across the organization to initiate key strategy discussions to drive new revenue streams or augment current ones
Administrator — making the trains run on time
- Develop and execute improvements to the strategic planning framework and process.
- Help build systems to institutionalize knowledge gained
- Manage OKR and annual strategic planning processes
- Program manage initiatives and launches (i.e., set process, deadlines, deliverables) end-to-end
Spearhead special strategic projects
- You will lead special projects across the company that align with the brand priorities. This may include business planning, launching new markets, scrutinizing strategic paths forward, lead a KPI overhaul, evaluate an acquisition strategy, assortment rationalization, etc.
- Lead or co-lead projects on behalf of President
- Identify opportunities with no natural home within organization and own cross-functional effort to execute with direct approval from President
Meeting preparation and prioritization
- You will help the President ensure that company priorities are driven forward with urgency
- You will own behind-the-scenes preparation to make the President's initiatives successful, including the research, tracking, monitoring, and execution of action items
- Attend critical meetings with President, draft/ send preparation and action items/follow-up notes from President
- Attend non-critical meetings on behalf of President, report back synthesized key information and requests
- You will help the executive team make better decisions more quickly, by providing data and insights, creating frameworks and outlining possible scenarios
- Serve as a proxy and information funnel, filter, and facilitator
Other Responsibilities May Include:
- Knowledge conduit – ensure information moves fluidly across the organization
- Keep a pulse across all facets of the business, transfer knowledge and connect dots with appropriate team members across functions
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with key partners across the team and the company
- Run team meetings efficiently and effectively, with the skills to connect dots and influence key decisions
Project management. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You are adept at connecting work streams that would otherwise remain siloed, while respectful of boundaries.
Communication. You are direct, concise, and resilient. Exceptional communication skills with a strong executive presence and an ability to work with many different personality types to positively influence others.
Research. You know how to ask the right questions to get the right answers. You are curious and meticulous, but also creative when it comes to finding a solution.
Trustworthy. You handle confidential and sensitive information with humility and professionalism. You can be a truth teller when your boss needs another perspective.
Lives in the future. Focuses on long-term planning and projects to ensure the growth of the organization.
High commercial acumen. Experience preparing a budget and/or strategic plan.
Entrepreneurial approach. Proactive, highly organized, self-starter capable of effectively managing multiple projects in parallel and overcoming challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience required in management consulting, corporate strategy, or in a high-growth company at a leadership level
- Must have high analytical skills, be able to see patterns (systems thinker), be a strategic decision maker
- Highly collaborative. Enjoy working with people. Humble, with strong listening skills
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We create fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing(employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Striving towards an environment where you can be free to be yourself
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Off-site volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared the same core values among staff and who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time.”
- “Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that’s rare in the workplace.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
- “What I like most about the company is the encouragements to grow your career. All of the brand presidents and most other people in leadership roles were here from the beginning and moved up to where they are now. Its inspiring and exciting - the company is truly serious about empowering and elevating people’s careers.”
Perks & Benefits:
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401(k) + matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance for HMS brands
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Make friends
- Love going to work every day
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.