Do you want to work in a cool, young, inclusive beauty company?
Do you have an entrepreneurial mindset and the passion to thrive in a semi-startup environment?
Do you have a strong passion for marketing?
If this sounds like you, here’s your perfect job!
We are seeking a Director, Brand Marketing + Innovation to own overall brand health (awareness, desirability, sentiment, engagement, advocacy) by leading the product innovation pipeline / marketing calendar and corresponding marketing campaign planning process from insight, brief, concept to creative execution. This person is crucial to growing the amika business through building a deep relationship with our customer through products and programs. He/she/they will bring the amika brand to life by partnering with cross functional teams and creating fully integrated marketing campaigns.
You are creative, but have a passion for analytics and will look to consumer insights, industry trends, and prior launch / competitive analysis to guide all decision making- from the management and growth of our product portfolio to 360 campaign planning and go to market strategy.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Campaign Development: Set the go-to-market vision, creating succinct briefs and impactful toolkits for the Creative Team and Channel Owners to activate against, and delivering clear direction, rich storytelling and sharp product positioning for each partner to build their strategy around.
- Drive & maintain our marketing calendar, declaring primary, secondary, seasonal, differentiated stories based on business priorities and innovation big bets
- Work across organization to develop integrated plans with consistent messaging across all channels that drive customers to take action
- Set campaign KPIs, track performance, and lead post mortem analysis. Share learnings across organization to inform future initiatives, optimize campaigns, and creative best practices
- Lead the development and implementation of retailer presentations, as well as launch playbooks that consolidate product launch details, message hierarchy, marketing concept, visual assets, and go-to-market strategy. Share out in a timely manner for channel planning
Portfolio Management: Drive decision-making on what we make and why - build our product strategy and pipeline by understanding brand objectives, the consumer need and competitive landscape. Oversee new product launch process and timelines to ensure successful and timely launches.
- Establish the sources of growth that are innovative, brand right, and solve a consumer need. Act as the voice of the consumer at every step of the development process to hone in on ownable point of difference and positioning
- Manage and optimize performance of new products once they're in the market
- Work closely with Product Development and brand teams to develop new and unique product formulations to create breakthrough innovation or fill a brand whitespace
- Drive new product launch timelines from product concept, formulation, marketing program development and campaign delivery
- Ensure new product launches are set up for success (market size, right to win in category, claims, assets, marketing support, inventory, promotions)
- Finalize product copy, naming, packaging, benefit and claims with cross-functional team
Consumer Relationship: Form a deep understanding of the amika customer to build a mutually beneficial and continuously evolving relationship.
- Conduct competitive deep dive analyses (customer insights from amika community, market research, trend reporting and competitive) as they relate to big idea campaigns and translate into actionable recommendations. Research, listen, and stay on the pulse of consumer behavior
- Share learnings with creative, sales, and marketing counterparts to maintain relevancy
- Identify and enact worthy brand partnerships
- Source + encourage communications around charitable events + partnerships
- Collaborate with Social Media Manager to drive a social strategy that seamlessly blends brand content, product features, and marketing initiatives
Cross-functional teams: Creative, Consumer Engagement (Paid Media, Influencers, Social Media, PR), eCommerce, Trade Marketing, R&D and Finance.
Direct Team (current and future): Copywriter, Brand Marketing Coordinator, Product Marketing Manager, Product Marketing Associate, Brand Marketing Manager
The ideal candidate is curious, analytical, and most importantly consumer obsessed. You want to understand consumer needs, perceptions, how they use product, and what compels them to make decisions. You also have a creative eye and have your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in the beauty industry.
- A BA/BS in Marketing or a related business field
- 10+ years of experience of running mix of brand management/brand marketing, creative/content operations in-house, product marketing, consumer insights, and/or innovation
- Strong knowledge of creative and content production workflows for cross-functional projects, including digital, social media, and print
- Ability to manage time appropriately and meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to motivate, guide and influence work and teams without direct responsibility; possess a positive attitude toward teamwork and be an advocate for collaboration
- A balance of art & science – ability to think creatively & strategically, with strong business mindset, and ability to develop & judge brand right communication
- Collaborative, communicative, and organized team player - you can balance long term strategic projects with daily fire drills, complex cross-functional projects, working with a wide range of personalities and teams, and juggling multiple priorities at once.
- Experience setting and managing marketing budgets
- Previous experience managing direct reports
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We create fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing(employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Striving towards an environment where you can be free to be yourself
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Off-site volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared the same core values among staff and who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time.”
- “Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that’s rare in the workplace.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
- “What I like most about the company is the encouragements to grow your career. All of the brand presidents and most other people in leadership roles were here from the beginning and moved up to where they are now. Its inspiring and exciting - the company is truly serious about empowering and elevating people’s careers.”
Perks & Benefits:
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401(k) + matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance for HMS brands
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Make friends
- Love going to work every day
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.