Do you want to work in a cool, young, inclusive beauty company?
Are you organized, proactive and ambitious?
Are you passionate about beauty and global business?
If this sounds like you, here’s your perfect job!
The Director of Regulatory Affairs is accountable for all legal and regulatory compliance of new and existing products + tools, artwork and communications for HMS brands. The ideal candidate has expert knowledge and understanding of global regulations and proven history of successful creation and implementation of strategies to protect and grow the business.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure all legal and regulatory compliance of new and existing products + tools, artwork and communications for HMS brands
- Actively follow new and upcoming regulatory changes for all target markets globally and work closely with Product Development to ensure all products comply throughout the product lifecycle
- Track new and upcoming regulatory changes for all target markets globally and present the findings quarterly to relevant cross functional departments
- Develop timely solutions to real or potential regulatory issues throughout the product lifecycle
- Create raw materials database for systematic check of all current and new raw materials to ensure regulatory compliance for usage/country/% as well as brand profile compliance
- Lead the B-Corp initiative for regulatory involvement
- Create new and optimize existing SOP’s and systems to support seamless regulatory operations
- Analyze and communicate accurate risk assessments as needed
- Oversee and participate in country registration with distributors and third-party certifiers, such as Biorius, Intertek, SGS, TUV
- Oversee and participate in the regulatory review, revision and approval process on all artwork and marketing materials including but not limited to: copy, claims, labeling requirements, warnings
- Oversee and participate in formula and raw material compliance review and assessment
- 7+ years working in Regulatory Affairs within the Beauty Industry.
- BA in Chemistry, Masters preferred.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of USA, Canada and European regulations, including but not limited to: FDA, USA Federal Fair Packaging + Labeling Act, Prop 65, Health Canada, European Commission and UL standards/requirements.
- Forward-thinker with hindsight to anticipate potential future regulations and proactively communicate and act upon them when required.
- Proven ability to build regulatory processes and systems.
- Detail orientated, organized, multi-tasking, enthusiastic leader with a proven history of successfully mentoring, motivating, and developing a team.
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We create fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing(employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Striving towards an environment where you can be free to be yourself
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Off-site volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared the same core values among staff and who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time.”
- “Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that’s rare in the workplace.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
- “What I like most about the company is the encouragements to grow your career. All of the brand presidents and most other people in leadership roles were here from the beginning and moved up to where they are now. Its inspiring and exciting - the company is truly serious about empowering and elevating people’s careers.”
Perks & Benefits:
- Health, dental, vision and life insurance
- 401(k) + matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance for HMS brands
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Make friends
- Love going to work every day
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.