Do you want to work in a cool, young, inclusive beauty company?
Are you able to meet deadlines with minimal supervision?
Are you super organized, proactive and ambitious?
Are you eager to learn and grow in your accounting career?
If this sounds like you, here’s the job for you!
The Accounts Receivable Staff Accountant will provide support for the AR team. You will provide financial, administrative and clerical support by ensuring the company receives payments for goods and properly recording the transactions by posting receipts and resolving discrepancies in an efficient, timely and accurate manner. Interfaces with credit agencies to assess the creditworthiness of all accounts.
- Participate in the month-end closing, prepare monthly reconciliations and assist in preparing monthly consolidations and ad-hoc reporting in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Support accounts receivable transactions and troubleshooting with customers
- Support schedules and provide reconciled balances to assist in data entry credit and bank transactions
- Process and apply customer payments received in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Enter deductions received from customers and dispute customer claims
- Create customer credits for shortages, price discrepancies, as well as vendor compliance claims
- Prepare and deliver weekly collection emails of outstanding balances for customers and maintain customer relationships
- Assist with researching, documenting and implementing conclusions regarding accounting treatment for non-routine transactions and new accounting pronouncements for areas of responsibility
- Maintain process documentation and look for opportunities to automate and improve daily account processes
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends
- Obtain revenue by verifying transaction information; computing charges and refunds; preparing and mailing invoices; identifying delinquent accounts and insufficient payments
- Maintain financial security by following internal accounting controls
- Secure financial information by completing database backups
- Maintain financial historical records by filing accounting documents
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field
- Retail and/or Consumer product industry a must
- Must have experience dealing with high volume of invoices at a fast pace while ensuring accurate & timely collection.
- Minimum of 4 years of combined public accounting experience or experience in a large company corporate accounting department
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with management, direct co-workers, as well as other departments
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Foundational understanding of US GAAP, including significant reserves, cash-flow, and complex accounting matters
- Be able to prioritize in order to complete all tasks in a timely manner and handle several issues simultaneously
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in a change-oriented environment
- Enthusiastic and eager to learn and problem solve
- Ability to work in a team environment and prioritize and execute concurrent assignments
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Exposure to SAP and Concur is preferred but not a condition of employment
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care and tool manufacturer, with our headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and distribution in Pennsauken, NJ. We create fun, performance-driven products and tools for professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You have seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salons (www.loveamika.com) and you’ve seen Eva NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (www.eva-nyc.com). We owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a tight-knit work environment.
Unlike most companies, we create everything in-house. Our brands and Product development take an idea for a tool or shampoo and creates versions for internal testing(employee participation encouraged!). Our amazingly innovative design studio to creates our unique packaging and marketing materials and our operations produces and distributes the new products. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to tell the world. All along the way, we have our executives, finance/accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly. Every employee has an impact on the company, which inspires our collaborative culture.
Over the years we have defined our core values as inclusivity, sustainability, wellness and community engagement in our beautiful Brooklyn neighborhood and beyond. As we implement new processes and procedures, we rely on feedback and input from our employees to ensure every employee feels welcomed, safe and valued. We aim to practice what we preach and believe that our culture contributes to our success.
Here are just a few elements of our culture that you can look forward to:
- An inclusive environment amplifies our employees’ voices in fundamental conversations
- A staff of ambitious people who want to set roots down with us and advance in their career
- Ongoing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
- Monthly wellness events like yoga, meditation and guest speakers
- Striving towards an environment where you can be free to be yourself
- Rooftop BBQ’s in the summer and unforgettable holiday parties
- Off-site volunteer and mentorship opportunities with various NYC-based organizations
- A safe space to let your ideas be heard and truly make an impact in the type of day-to-day you have always wanted
- Sustainability initiatives like composting, recycling and clean energy
- Shared the same core values among staff and who are passionate about what they do
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
- “Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development.”
- “A warm and encouraging atmosphere.”
- “Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant.”
- “Hard work is recognized.”
- “I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time.”
- “Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that’s rare in the workplace.”
- “Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas.”
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental and life insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Short and long-term disability
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly product allowance for all HMS brands
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Make friends
- Love going to work every day
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you’d be the perfect fit along with your resume.