At American Well, we believe digital care delivery will transform healthcare. Our mission is to connect and enable providers, insurers, patients, and innovators to deliver greater access to more affordable, higher quality care. We do this by equipping clinicians, patients and the industry that supports them with the tools to realize a better healthcare experience.
We’re looking for a Product Manager to help deliver on our bold mission. If you want to change the way healthcare is delivered… if you have an opinion on whether shipping is more important than perfection… if you’ve geeked out on the possibilities of telehealth or how the storm of new virtual care delivery models can transform the way patients receive care… if you’re looking for an opportunity to build world-class enterprise telehealth products… then this is the job for you!
Our current product team is awesome at:
- Product management. We’re not talking about “agile product owner” nonsense. We mean real product management work where shape and lay out the product strategy and roadmap to drive business results that matter.
- Being obsessively customer focused.
- Delivering an amazing user experience.
- Getting product to market. We mean really fast. Even for a company at our scale.
- Forget scrum, XP, Kanban, whatever. We have our own unique flavor of agile. And it totally works.
- Driving revenue and ROI. We’re not sales, marketing, account management, or customer success. But make no mistake: We Drive The Business.
What will you be doing? You’ll be responsible for partnering with our product management, device operations, hardware engineering, software development and UI/UX design teams to manage our suite of telehealth clinical applications and devices, and bring new features and functionality to market. You’ll be responsible for defining, prioritizing, documenting and driving requirements from inception to delivery.
As the voice of the customer champion, you’ll take lead on representing our customers in day-to-day decisions made at the engineering and delivery levels. Once launched, you will be equally as passionate about enabling our client-facing teams to be able to communicate these exciting new capabilities to customers.
Who are we looking for?
- A strong, proactive individual with a bias for action and a passion for solving complex problems.
- We value Product Managers who want to truly understand our customers’ world, as well as sit with engineers and dig into the details as owners of their specific feature/product.
- Someone who has an innate ability to understand complex and technical concepts, and to plan, prioritize and seamlessly integrate all moving parts in order to release high quality products.
We need a Product Manager. Not a project manager or scum master. Not an IT manager or engineering manager. Not a UI/UX designer or product marketer or anyone who is not specifically a product manager. We need someone who KNOWS how to get a thorough understanding of their end-users, define coherent and implementable requirements, prioritize a product backlog, build consensus, and get products to market.
Is this job for you? It could be, if:
- You’re a “product person”. If you’re not sure what that means, this probably won’t be a good fit for you.
- You can be hands-on. All of us contribute as individuals. Yes, as Product Management, we create product strategy and define roadmaps. We also roll up our sleeves and get in the trenches with our engineering and customer implementation teams. If you’re looking to manage a team day 1, have a fancy title, or need a corner office, this won’t be the right fit for you.
- You’re comfortable in a fast-paced environment. If you’re not comfortable in an environment where change is constant, if you value fancy desks and a predictable work schedule, you won’t be happy here.
- You thrive on growth. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-growing market on major business challenges. You’ll have the support of passionate, experienced co-workers, but our biggest challenges lie ahead of us. You’ll play a key role in finding and delivering answers.
If you’re a decisive, self-directed problem solver who thrives in a fast paced, collaborative environment, and is up for the challenge of working with the best product team in the world, then we want to talk to you!
The position is located at our Reston, VA, office. The position will report to the Vice President of Product Management.
You will own execution of key initiatives on our product roadmap for our clinical applications and telehealth devices. You will collaborate with customers and internal stakeholders, prioritize the product backlog, define product requirements, review and ensure alignment with our technical teams, drive requirements through to production release, and ensure smooth post-release communications.
- Collaborate with our client-facing teams to understand and validate new enhancement requests from clients
- Work with product leadership and other product managers on product initiatives in the backlog and on the roadmap
- Seek user feedback to uncover new needs, gain deeper insights into new requests, and solicit feedback on recently released enhancements
- Incorporate this voice of the customer input into our backlog prioritization process and scoping of new requirements
- Prioritize and document requirements for upcoming product releases
- Collaborate with our highly creative design and engineering teams to reach the best possible version of a feature or enhancement to bring to market
- Be the voice of the user within the engineering teams, clearly articulating user needs and customer goals, ensuring technical solutions map back to solving a user problem or job
- Actively work with the team to decompose epics/features into user stories that are granular enough for the team to estimate and work on
- Develop and document acceptance criteria for stories/epics to ensure they can be accepted, and validate that developed stories/epics meet their acceptance criteria
- Participate in relevant agile and product development ceremonies
- Educate users and internal stakeholders on new features and enhancements, and create and/or contribute to relevant internal and external communications
- Provide key contribution to the creation of release notes and release related communications for owned product updates and enhancements
- Be the expert and go-to person for your initiatives. Manage communication of product initiatives both internally and externally
- Support all product management team activities
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate must be a collaborative, high energy individual with a strong sense of urgency, and a performance-based track record of accomplishments. A driven self-starter with high initiative and confidence.
- 2+ years of proven product management experience, especially in enterprise B2B setting
- 1+ years product development experience with medical device, IoT device, or other device manufacturer highly desired, particularly with connected or fully integrated devices with custom firmware, custom OS, and wi-fi networks
- Understanding of digital video or audio devices and services and related features, including user interfaces and applications, a plus
- Proven track record of shipping actual products
- Obsessive emphasis on user-driven product design and data-driven product refinement
- Ability to hold your own in usability and user experience discussions with the Design team and technical discussions with Engineering
- Ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, translate to user and customer implications, manage trade-offs, and facilitate decision-making
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and tasks with varying degrees of priority in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Able to work autonomously with minimal daily supervision and demonstrated thoroughness, follow-up and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with technology products or applications in the healthcare space a plus
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required. Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering a plus
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We strive to make the hard work of healthcare look easy. In order to make this a reality, we look for people with a fast-paced, mission-driven mentality. We’re a go-getter culture that prides itself on quality, efficiency, smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology, we offer:
- Unlimited Personal Time Off (Vacation time)
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Complimentary snacks and drinks