American Well is seeking a motivated Mechanical Engineer to help redefine healthcare by developing the only end-to-end telehealth platform that combines easy-to-use care coordination software with provider and patient mobile applications and the industry’s leading telemedicine devices. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver virtual doctor visits. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling doctors to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
Can you take a product vision and translate it into a working solution? Our team is searching for a person with foundational knowledge of mechanical principles who can help solve some of our most challenging telehealth engineering problems. The Mechanical Engineer will play a critical role in a fast-growing company located in Reston, Virginia. We're looking for a full-time, Mechanical Engineer to work on our devices team. Our hardware integrates custom and off the shelf electro-mechanical hardware in a sleek and intuitive mobile platform. Our challenge is to keep pace with the rapid technological evolution of multimedia hardware while maintaining the rigorous quality standards expected of medical devices. You’ll be a key part of our engineering team and helping us revolutionize the access people have to healthcare services.
- Design and engineer mechanical solutions using SolidWorks as a tool for creation, evaluation and communication in the development of our Telehealth products.
- Manufacturing engineering tasks including design fixtures, writing assembly documentation, incoming inspection and non-conforming materials procedures.
- Deep dive research and synthesis of industry components.
- Create dimensional drawings for fabrication of parts by contract manufacturers.
- Create cable assembly drawings and exploded view drawings.
- Create 3D models of existing parts by measuring and reverse engineering or utilizing vendor provided 2D data.
- Assist with developing and implementing pertinent internal best practices and standards.
- Design simple production parts.
- Assist with analyzing and communication design trade-offs aesthetic, functionality, manufacturability and serviceability.
- Write requirements documents based on previous examples and by filtering market feedback with technical feasibility.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams (Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, and Product Management) to understand
- Assist in the creation of processes for improving the efficiency of translating designs from R&D to manufacturing
- Develop new assembly methods around our cost, cleanliness and aesthetic values.
- Utilize rapid prototyping technologies and quick turn vendor to design iterations
- Low volume manufacturing
- Developing relationships with existing contract manufacturers and source new vendors.
- Assisting with regulatory compliance testing preparation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 1-3 years experience in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent field
- Experience with SolidWorks or equivalent.
- Extreme thoroughness in execution. This is how we create amazing value for our users and launch ahead of the competition.
- Ability to apply a design thinking methodology across job functions.
- Ability to generate concepts for efficiency and improvement at all levels.
- Willingness and drive to push through roadblocks and challenges.
- Strong desire to grow and develop a breadth of knowledge in a variety of fields including manufacturing, design, medical devices and teleconferencing.
- Enthusiasm for all aspects of the process, from ideations to completion.
- Fearless trouble shooting, willing to hack or disassemble down to the bare frame.
- Strong written and communication skills. You will be an internal and external liaison.
- Strong desire to help.
- Basic understanding of common manufacturing processes.
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Should you join American Well and the Devices team, you can expect:
American Well’s Device Engineering group is a mission-focused technology team made up the best and brightest technical talent. Operating out of our office in Reston, VA, our engineers specialize in electrical, mechanical, firmware, software, and embedded systems design and development. We design, develop, and test cutting-edge telehealth systems in a fast-paced interdisciplinary team.
Our mission is to transform healthcare and to be the premier distributor of provider services by creating and operationalizing devices that enable consumption of telemedicine, deliver an awesome user experience and capture exceptional business value
If you enjoy working hard, challenging yourself, and staying at the cutting edge of technology, this is the team for you.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Unlimited PTO
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Free gym access – on-site
**Complimentary snacks and drinks**