American Well is seeking a motivated Device Engineer to help redefine healthcare by developing with the only end-to-end telehealth platform that combines easy-to-use care coordination software with provider and patient mobile applications and the industry’s leading telemedicine video devices. We partner with the top health systems, health plans, employers, and digital health companies to deliver video doctor visits over mobile and web. We are changing the way healthcare is delivered by enabling every doctor to use telehealth with their patients, making care more accessible, affordable and convenient. Our goal is to bring care home.
Can you take a product vision and translate it into a working solution? Our team is searching for a person with a background in electronic embedded systems and audio/visual technology who can help solve some of our most challenging telehealth device engineering problems. The Device Engineer (DE) will play a key role in designing and bringing revolutionary products to market. Working closely with cross-functional teams, the DE will use cutting edge tools and approaches to deliver awesome products, that create amazing user experiences in surprisingly short timelines. You’ll be key part of our engineering team and helping us revolutionize the access people have to healthcare services.
- Own system requirements of next-generation telemedicine products driven by technical user needs and manufacturability while working as a key member of a cross-functional team
- Support quality, compliance, and customer service teams with engineering needs (e.g., debugging, overseeing RF emissions testing)
- Embedded system development, testing, and verification
- Work with Product Management to define and evaluate the engineering solution options to meet each product’s requirements
- Evaluate the engineering trade space and recommend engineering solution options based on business (e.g., feature set, costs) and engineering (e.g., feasibility, timeline) constraints
- Manage multiple partner relationships with OEM engineering teams
- Work with 3rd party vendors to support their hardware on the American Well platform
- Evaluate processes, tools and approaches to potentially incorporate into how we develop products to ensure we are always learning and improving
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in technology related field
- 2-5 years of experience in the design and development of connected embedded systems
- Experience with A/V, networking, or embedded computing systems
- Strong multi-tasking, communication, and organizational skills
- Experience with the following devices is a plus: medical devices; mobile carts, power supplies, cable assemblies, computer and video equipment
- Driven to own the process and deliver the solution
- Experience with FDA, UL, CE, FCC certifications is a plus
Should you join American Well and the Devices team, you can expect:
American Well’s Device Engineering group is a mission-focused technology team made up the best and brightest technical talent. Operating out of our office in Reston, VA, our engineers specialize in electrical, mechanical, firmware, software, and embedded systems design and development. We design, develop, and test cutting-edge telehealth products in a fast-paced interdisciplinary team.
Our mission is to transform healthcare and to be the premier distributor of provider services by creating and operationalizing devices that enable consumption of telemedicine, deliver an awesome user experience and capture exceptional business value
If you enjoy working hard, challenging yourself, and staying at the cutting edge of technology, this is the team for you.
Working at American Well
American Well is changing how care is delivered through online and mobile technology. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We make the hard work of healthcare look easy and that requires a mission-driven mentality. We’re a “go getter” culture that pride itself on smarts, initiative, creative thinking, and a strong work ethic.
Our corporate headquarters are located in downtown Boston at 75 State Street –in the heart of the city. In addition to the opportunity to build the future of healthcare technology and a great location, we offer:
- Unlimited PTO
- 401K match
- Competitive healthcare, dental and vision insurance plans
- Free gym access – on-site
- Complimentary snacks and drinks