We are a hybrid, remote-friendly culture, with our company headquarters based in San Francisco. Candidates anywhere in the US are encouraged to apply.
Ambience Healthcare is building the AI operating system for healthcare, with the mission of supercharging healthcare workers with AI superpowers.
Over the past several years, healthcare organizations and health systems have been approaching a critical turning point: workforce shortages and clinician burnout are at an all-time high, cutting into already-razor-thin margins and posing critical operational challenges. Organizations are finding themselves under immense pressure to address burnout and increase access to care, all while maintaining profitability despite declining reimbursement rates.
Until now, they have been unable to find any viable solutions to this productivity and morale crisis.
Ambience Healthcare was founded after 2.5 years of R&D in large language model (LLM) technology to address one of the most impactful productivity opportunities in healthcare: clinical documentation. The most painful part of a clinician’s day consists of hours of late-night administrative work, writing detailed documentation in the medical record for each of their visits. The contents of each medical note are critical for reimbursement, compliance, downstream clinical quality measures, and for other care team members to understand what happened to each patient.
Ambience's flagship product, Ambience AutoScribe, is a best-in-class AI medical scribe that captures the nuances of clinician-patient conversation in real-time into comprehensive medical documentation within the EMR. On average, Ambience saves 16+ hours of tedious note-taking per clinician per week. Today, AutoScribe is available across 18+ specialties and is used by clinicians at leading healthcare organizations for every single one of their shifts.
For the first time in years, clinicians are able to get home on time for dinner without any documentation homework. And as a result, they now refuse to practice without AutoScribe.
As we experience unprecedented pull from the market for our products, we’re actively expanding our team of world-class talent across sales, marketing, product, engineering, clinical, and customer success functions.
At Ambience, you’ll be surrounded by an exceptional team of A-players who are kind, humble, curious, and deeply aligned with the core mission of improving the lives of clinicians and their patients, including:
- 2nd-time founders in healthcare who previously built a virtual care platform
- the author of a leading deep learning textbook
- co-founder of Cruise’s ML platform team
- co-founder of Rev.com’s automated speech recognition team
- Former principal architect at Palantir
- Founder of Reddit's web platform team
- former Head of Growth from a leading tech-enabled primary care group
As Lead iOS Engineer at Ambience, your primary responsibility will be to develop and launch our first set of iOS products, bringing our AI medical scribe technology to users' mobile devices. You will work closely with our product team to prototype and iterate on new features. Additionally, you will lay the foundation for Ambience's future mobile development initiatives and foster a strong sense of teamwork, growth, and innovation within our engineering team.
Within the first 6 months, your focus will be on establishing the technical groundwork for Ambience's first mobile offering, leading the delivery of a high-quality, reliable, and scalable application. Alongside these tasks, you will actively teach and mentor other engineers on the team, sharing best practices for developing delightful mobile experiences. You will have an opportunity to make a significant impact early on, paving the way for leadership opportunities as the company grows over time.
What You'll Do:
- Design, build, and maintain our first set of iOS products using Swift/Swift UI
- Plan and deploy mobile platform infrastructure for building, testing, and deploying new iterations
- Ensure a robust architecture that is fault-tolerant and elegantly handles OS or user-driven interruptions
- Partner closely with our Product team and leadership to develop new experiences, align projects with core engineering needs, and contribute to company goals
- Develop and uphold best practices, coding standards, and engineering processes for the team
Who You Are:
- 6+ years of professional experience building iOS apps end-to-end using Swift or Objective-C (Swift/Swift UI highly desirable)
- Comfortable with API design and implementing server-side changes needed for mobile apps
- Proven expertise building architecturally complex applications and systems from the ground up
- Thrive in environments with high levels of complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity
- A low-ego team player who prioritizes co-discovering the best ideas, even if they’re not your own
- Enjoy growing the team and mentoring engineers
Technical Skills and Tools:
- Swift or Objective-C
- Swift UI
- NodeJS / Typescript is a plus
- Experience with other Apple platforms such as macOS or watchOS is a plus
- Familiarity with AVAudioEngine or audio processing toolkits on iOS is highly desirable
Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? We don’t expect every candidate to have done everything listed above, and we're excited to work with candidates who are eager to grow and develop their skills. Join Ambience as a founding team member in our journey to create breakthrough product experiences for our users.
$175,000 - $225,000, with the addition of significant equity.
We’ve intentionally allocated a wider range so that candidates have more flexibility to choose the desired cash/equity split that works for them. Philosophically, we lean towards generous equity grants so that our team truly gets to share in the impact they create.
Are you outside of the range? We encourage you to still apply: we take an individualized approach to ensure that compensation accounts for all of the life factors that matter for each candidate.
Being at Ambience:
- An opportunity to work with cutting edge AI technology, on a product that dramatically improves the quality of life for healthcare providers and the quality of care they can provide to their patients
- Dedicated budget for personal development, including access to world class mentors, advisors, and an in-house executive coach
- Work alongside a world-class, diverse team that is deeply mission aligned
- Ownership over your success and the ability to significantly impact the growth of our company
- Competitive salary and equity compensation with benefits including health, dental, and vision coverage, paid maternity/paternity leave, quarterly retreats, unlimited PTO, and a 401(k) plan
We’re fortunate to be backed by:
- Top-tier venture firms: Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and Human Capital
- The best minds in AI: OpenAI Startup Fund, Jeff Dean, Richard Socher, Pieter Abbeel, AIX Ventures, and others
- Healthcare industry leaders: Optum Ventures, Martin Ventures, the Frist family, Randy Parker, Anne Wojcicki, Jay Desai, Nish Bhat, Eren Bali, and others