Amber Charter Schools provide our students with an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, enabling them to prosper in their future endeavors.
By 2025, the ACS network will serve over 2000 students across three NYC neighborhoods.
- Amber Charter School East Harlem was founded in 2000 as the first Latino-led charter school in New York State. It currently serves 500 K-5 students.
- Amber Charter School Kingsbridge opened in 2016 and serves 466 K-5 students, and will grow to serve 840 K-8.
- Amber Charter School Inwood will open with 200 K-1 students in 2021, and grow to serve 923 K-8 students.
Middle School Dean of Students, ACS Kingsbridge
Start Date: July 2021
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Middle School Dean of Students will formally report to the ACS Kingsbridge Principal.
Ensure a Safe and Strong School Culture and Community
- Ensure that the school’s policies, procedures and protocols for holding all students to high behavioral expectations as stated in the Code of Conduct are understood, promoted and reinforced, equitably and consistently, by all students and staff members.
- Supervise arrival, dismissal, transitions, lunch and/or recess as needed, ensuring the safety of the students.
- Facilitate the school’s Child Study Team (attend weekly meetings, manage referrals, monitor recommended plans, and help determine students who are in need of an evaluation for special education services).
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date student conduct data and records regarding interventions, including merits and demerits earned by students, conferences held, awards and acknowledgements, suspensions, and communication with families.
- Maintain monthly records to assist teachers in the classroom with promoting positive behaviors and mitigating problem behaviors.
- Closely track and prepare data and information regarding student behavior, consequences, supports and interventions to inform school-wide, subgroup and individual student strategies and decisions as a member of the school leadership team and school culture committee.
- Closely monitor and problem-solve student attendance challenges, in partnership with families and colleagues.
- Develop and facilitate a comprehensive advisory program for grades 5-8.
- Support student social-emotional development, learning of the AMBER Way core values and the recognition of growth and progress.
- Engage, communicate and partner with parents/guardians to ensure students are successful learners and community members.
Support Instructional Staff to Develop and Implement Effective, Impactful Teaching and Classroom Management Practices
- Be present in classrooms often and actively coach teachers, providing them with timely constructive feedback.
- Guide teachers to modify, differentiate and extend learning experiences to engage all students.
- Partner with Staff Developers to facilitate professional development offerings that promote effective behavioral management practices in the classroom.
- Provide timely classroom support to teachers when requested; follow established protocols to support students to re-engage in learning and teachers in applying appropriate behavior management strategies and consequences.
- Serve as the critical point person for acute or crisis student behavior concerns.
- Assign and oversee out of classroom consequences, including suspensions.
- Develop and monitor the implementation of behavior intervention plans in partnership with teachers, parents/guardians and students.
Contribute to the Day to Day Success and Ongoing Evolution of the School
- Serve as a key member of the instructional leadership team.
- Models the school’s values and standards for professional conduct; consistently demonstrates best practices for communicating with students, staff, and families.
- Help to recruit, interview and onboard new instructional team members.
- Review trimester report cards, and specialist progress reports, ensuring appropriate alignment among ratings, comments and concrete data collected.
- Support teachers as they prepare for parent/teacher conferences and maximize family participation.
- Execute special assignments and other duties as designated by the principal.
- Contribute to extended learning beyond the typical school day (academic tutoring, summer school, etc.)
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an effective, impactful classroom teacher, preferably in the middle grades.
- Staff professional development, consulting and coaching experience.
- Familiarity with remote learning systems (e.g. Google Classroom, on-line curriculum platforms).
- Strong command of all Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs.
- Experience planning, developing, facilitating and evaluating high-impact professional development.
- A high degree of comfort and confidence modeling effective classroom management and instruction.
- Knowledge of best practices in adult learning.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple obligations and initiatives, strong attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Knowledge of change management theory and practice, team building, and group dynamics..
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s core values.
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
- Commitment to leveraging the existing strengths and supporting the continuous evolution of our communities, students, families and staff members.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
- NYS teaching certification.
- Spanish-speaking strongly preferred.
Amber Charter Schools offers competitive benefits for full-time employees including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development