As one of the first 15 engineers at Alto, you will join a team creating a completely new pharmacy experience from the ground up. We use advanced technology and human empathy to advance a broken pharmacy industry into the modern era, and to make high-quality healthcare accessible to all. As an Alto Engineer, you will have the opportunity to build across the breadth of our products -- from our patient mobile application to our provider web dashboard to internal tools for our home grown pharmacy management system called Wunderbar. Our mission at Alto is to fulfill medicine’s true purpose—to improve quality of life—for everyone who needs it. We are building the best pharmacy for everybody, everywhere.
You are a generalist who owns projects from end-to-end, enjoys problem-solving, and values the impact your work makes on our patients. You always put the patient experience first. You are scrappy and resourceful, unafraid to dive into an unknown project but humble enough to make mistakes and iterate. You thrive on speed and wearing many hats, and you enjoy working on different parts of the tech stack (we use Ruby on Rails, React, React Native, and Go).
Within your 1st month, you will ship small features to Alto’s products. You’ll familiarize yourself with our tech stack, code review process, and codebase to learn how everything connects together. You’ll also shadow our Pharmacy Operations, Patient Care, and Fulfillment Teams to understand Alto from every perspective, and you’ll even speak to real patients on a support call. By your 2nd month, you will contribute to the planning, scoping, and code of a larger project. By your 3rd month, you’ll possess the confidence and skill set to own and ship a large project or feature. You’ll feel comfortable within our codebase and be able to tackle bugs independently.
Example Projects of an Alto Engineer:
- Fertility Auto-Billing: The process of billing for fertility medication is very complex. To automate the manual work of calculating medication costs for the patients, we began by solving structural problems within our complex systems like understanding which clinics should be eligible for certain coupons and differentiating how much we saved patients vs how much their insurance contributed. Once we solved for these challenges, we automated the billing process with Ruby, React, and Postgres. This simplified an end-to-end billing process from how we receive prescriptions for fertility patients to generating competitive medication quotes for them.
- React Native Patient App: Building a patient mobile app from scratch in React Native for both iOS and Android, along with the API endpoints to integrate the app with Alto’s backend. This app enables patients to onboard, schedule deliveries, order refills, communicate with their pharmacist, and better understand their medications.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Thrive in a dynamic fast-paced environment where you own products from start to finish, and make decisions quickly and independently. You may break things, but you fix them with speed.
- Have 4+ years of experience writing production code.
- Believe in Alto’s mission and embodies our company values
Want more insight into what motivates us to save patient lives? Learn about our key values here: https://www.keyvalues.com/alto
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.