We’re building a new kind of pharmacy to cure one of our healthcare system’s most startling ills: over 50% of prescriptions are never picked up. Because staying on track with doctor’s orders requires more than just delivering pills, we’re managing everything from insurance logistics to pricing, late-night questions to supply chain, and anything else that could stand in the way of effective treatment. Our more than 400 employees are dedicated to fulfilling medicine’s true purpose: to improve the quality of life for everyone who needs it. We’ve filled over 1 million prescriptions to date. To aid our calling, we’ve raised $354 million in funding, and we’re on track to achieve $1 billion in annual recurring revenue (ARR) by 2021. Join us as we prove just how much a pharmacy can deliver.
About the Team
As Alto’s first Senior Counsel hire, you will provide legal, compliance and corporate governance support to the business, reporting directly to our first General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer. Our scrappy, small but mighty Legal Team is building a foundation for one of the most ambitious healthcare disruptions. As an early team member, you will have a key role in building something extraordinary - to help Alto deliver a faster and friendlier service to its patients, while disrupting an archaic and complex $350B industry.
Accelerate your career as you:
- Partner closely with the General Counsel to build the Legal Team that will scale with Alto’s mission and business.
- Prepare, review and negotiate contractual agreements, including but not limited to pharmacy agreements.
- Provide guidance related to Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse and Stark compliance.
- Provide legal and strategic business advice and support across a broad spectrum of Alto functions, e.g. contract interpretation, dispute resolution, risk allocation and mitigation, and other legal issues.
- Manage outside counsel relationships on legal matters pertaining to corporate law, healthcare compliance, litigation, employment, securities, real estate, etc.
- Assist the Legal Team in developing and refining policies, processes, best practices, and templates.
- Help drive Legal Team initiatives and handle other issues and special projects as the need arises.
- Build close relationships with Alto leaders across all departments.
A bit about you:
- Juris Doctor degree.
- 8+ years practicing law, ideally 3+ years as in-house within the healthcare or pharmacy industries.
- Current member in good-standing of the California Bar Association or eligible for registration as In-House Counsel with the California bar.
- Excellent contract experience, including a deep command of compliance and commercial concepts relevant to the pharmacy and healthcare arenas.
- Agile and action-oriented in a fast-paced business - an ability to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a rapidly evolving environment.
- Strong drive towards efficiency and effectiveness, organized and resourceful.
- Impact-driven, innate ability to hold yourself accountable, strong follow-through skills, desire to roll up your sleeves and create order out of chaos.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions, team player.
- A practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and an ability to provide internal clients with clear, concise legal advice and creative solutions.
- Desire to learn, grow, and reason from first principles.
- Impeccable integrity, kind, humble - teams want to build something great with you.
- Working understanding of Intellectual Property, including licensing and copyright.
- Pharmaceutical or healthcare industry experience.
- Regulatory experience.
- Experience with contract/document management software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft, as well as Google Suite.
Want to learn more about Alto? Check out our blog here: https://blog.alto.com
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.