Engineering Manager- Backend, Core Services
We’re building a new kind of pharmacy to cure one of our healthcare system’s most startling ills: over 50% of prescriptions are never picked up. Because staying on track with doctor’s orders requires more than just delivering pills, we’re managing everything from insurance logistics to pricing, late-night questions to supply chain, and anything else that could stand in the way of effective treatment. Our more than 600 employees are dedicated to fulfilling medicine’s true purpose: to improve the quality of life for everyone who needs it. We’ve filled over 1 million prescriptions to date. To aid our calling, we’ve raised $354 million in funding, and we’re on track to achieve $1 billion in annual recurring revenue (ARR) by 2021. Join us as we prove just how much a pharmacy can deliver.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to be a founding member of our newly formed Core Services team. As a founding member, you will help shape the vision, processes, and have large ownership over foundational services for Alto’s product teams. Within our charter, we will be building platforms to support Internationalization, Communications, Fraud and Risk management, Payments, User management and much more.
As an Engineering Manager at Alto, your role is to support your team and enable them to do their best work. You will nurture, grow and develop the team, as well as cultivate cross-collaboration with Product Management, Design, and Operations. You will ensure they have the bandwidth to accomplish ambitious goals without compromising quality or sanity.
For your first 1-2 months, you’ll familiarize yourself with our tech stack, engineering processes, and codebase to learn how everything connects together. You will ship small features to Alto’s products and be “on the ground” to understand the challenges and skills needed to be successful as an Alto Engineer. You’ll also shadow our Pharmacy Operations, Patient Care, and Fulfillment Teams to understand Alto from every perspective. At the end of this time, you will have shown strong technical judgment on several projects, fostered cross-team collaboration, and brought your unique experience to Alto with thoughtfulness. These initial weeks familiarize you with Alto holistically and earn you credibility as a leader with your colleagues.
Responsibilities of an Alto Engineering Manager:
- Develops and empowers your team through consistent and honest feedback (we love radical candor), career planning, and performance reviews. You are a mentor and coach!
- Partner closely with Recruiting to expand the team - collaborating on hiring strategies, sourcing candidates, interviewing, closing, and onboarding new employees. You care about the candidate experience and diversity & inclusion when hiring.
- Run weekly 1:1s and team meetings, mentor engineers, and conduct code reviews.
- Contribute to Alto’s product and technical roadmaps.
- Work with other leadership to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team.
Example projects the Core Services team might work on include:
- Internationalization: Enable Alto to serve users who speak any language on mobile and web.
- User Management: Build a platform that serves all the needs of our many different users- patients, providers, clinics, pharmacists, couriers, and more!
- Communications: Provide single location for managing channel preferences and extend functionality across sms, email, in-app messaging, and push notifications.
- Payments: Build a platform handling multiple payment processors, banking integrations, fraud and risk management, and more!
- Identity/Authentication/Authorization: In conjunction with our Security team, build a platform that enables a seamless, secure login and signup process across mobile and web.
- Scaling and Cost Optimizations: Work along with our infra team to ensure our systems will scale in a cost-effective manner as we track to $1billion ARR in 2021.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 4+ years of experience writing production code
- Have 3+ years of engineering management experience with a strong record of shipping.
- Are proficient in one or more backend programming languages. At Alto, we mainly use Ruby on Rails and Go on the backend, but experience with these specific languages is not required.
- Have interest in larger scale work that enable other engineers and business lines.
- Have built or maintained internal APIs, libraries, services, or systems.
- Have experience with a RDBMS: mysql, postgres, etc
- Have experience with a caching technology: memcache, redis
- Use product intuition grounded in data and analytics to contribute to product decisions, and can work with product engineers, product managers, and designers to effectively deliver them.
- Have successfully recruited engineers, on your own and with a recruiting team
- Understand industry best practices and tradeoffs and when to apply them
- Thrive in a collaborative fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. You're excited to dive into unfamiliar problems and humble enough to make mistakes and iterate.
About Our Benefits:
We believe that a happy mind and body make a happy and successful employee, so we're pleased to offer solutions that keep your mind and body refreshed and healthy. Our employees have access to comprehensive medical, dental, and vision care packages, on-demand counseling services with Ginger, on-site meditation and mindfulness classes, and discounted gym memberships.
Peace of mind allows our employees to focus on what matters in life! That's why we think it's important to ensure your home, family and funds are protected. Alto Pharmacy offers benefits like group life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance, not to mention a health savings account, flexible spending account options, commuter benefits and more.
Alto Pharmacy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.