Altana provides the world’s only dynamic, intelligent map of the global supply chain - the Altana Atlas - using AI and machine learning models to connect with and learn from massive sets of public and private data. Through the Atlas, companies and governments can understand the distant origins of products well beyond their own direct suppliers; discover trading relationships and national security risks deep in their networks; measure labor and environmental impacts; identify related risks and opportunities; ensure effective compliance and enforcement with trade requirements; and collaborate to manage all of it.
We have built a fundamental understanding of how the world’s economy works, and the implications for global resiliency, sustainability and opportunity are enormous. Backed by leading investors and used by the world’s most important organizations (Maersk, US Customs and Border Protection, Merck, Boston Scientific, and more), Altana’s mission is to power a new era of globalization organized around trusted supply chain networks.
This is a lofty mission, and our success depends on building a diverse, global team and creating an environment in which they can thrive. We operate in accordance with our values: we focus on value creation, not capture; we foster diversity and embrace difference; we embrace reality; we get things done; we amaze our clients. When you join Altana, you’ll be joining a vibrant, collaborative team working together to solve complex problems with the potential for global societal impact.
The Opportunity at Altana
The Engineering team is responsible for building out the platforms, API’s, services, workflows, and logical architectures for bringing this vision to life. We are creating a platform fundamentally driven by AI, which scales to a massive trove of data, and a diverse customer base; it is a complex system that will stretch engineering in many directions. You’ll work closely with our Data Scientists on projects to analyze and observe world-scale datasets, write code that can scale to produce never-before-seen insights, and construct APIs to deliver our product vision.
- Ingest product requirements, define technical requirements, and design practical, iterative technology designs that achieve the goal while fitting into our overall technical and product roadmaps
- Personally develop and deploy services creating and supporting our overall architecture
- Build and maintain distributed data processing and machine learning pipelines
- Analyze and propose technical solutions to invent, enable, and enhance our product offerings
- Be responsible for automating, testing, and deploying your work
- Review the code and technical designs authored by your fellow team members, and hold a high bar for quality
- Mentor junior developers and help them level up their skills
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of real-world professional experience writing back end or data-driven software in demanding environments
- You’ve deployed production code and services to cloud-hosted environments
- You have demonstrated experience delivering incremental releases from proof-of-concept to MVP to production
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience working on large, complex problems
- You care deeply about engineering excellence, clean code, and knowledge-sharing
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience with Python Machine Learning toolsets (Numpy, Pandas, Dedupe)
- Experience with container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
Technologies we love to use at Altana
- Languages: Python, PySpark
- Tools: Docker, Git, Kubernetes, Swagger/OpenAPI, AWS/Azure, MLFlow, Celery
- Datastores: Databricks and Delta Lakes
This role is remote, based in the United States or United Kingdom, with the option to work from one of our hubs in New York City, Boston, Washington D.C, or London.
Why it’s great to work at Altana
- We love to collaborate, and we win as a team!
- We are committed to engineering excellence
- We value personal and professional development
- We learn from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- We impact the world, from enabling developing countries to identifying drug traffickers
Altana is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to inclusion across race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical ability, veteran status, and national origin. We offer a comprehensive healthcare package and paid parental leave of 3 months for the primary caregiver and 1 month for the secondary caregiver.