Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and helping to change their educational trajectories? Teachers at Alpha have the opportunity to close the achievement gap for low-income students while collaborating with a joyful team of educators committed to sending our scholars to college.
As a Biology Teacher you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our scholars. Our science teachers will approach instruction with patience, creativity, and a growth mindset, while using activities and instructional methods that will motivate our scholars.
We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs- teachers who believe that all students can learn, that our scholars belong in college, and that student growth is a reflection of the teacher’s practice. At Alpha, you will uphold a rigorous culture for all students. As a Biology teacher, you will contribute to the science department that teaches students to wonder, to inquire, and explore our physical world with discipline, and to confront the ethical conflicts within those explorations. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and we are focused on supporting our scholars as they grow into self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career.
What you’ll do…
Lead an academically rigorous classroom through activities such as:
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials to teach Biology
- Teach curricula aligned to Common Core standards along with social and emotional skills
- Assess and analyze students’ performance and progress to ensure they are mastering developmental skills regularly, and responding to data to support all scholars to achieve academic success
Build Relationships with our scholars, passionate staff, and committed families
- Maintain an open line of communication with families
- Work to maintain a positive culture on campus by building strong relationships with scholars and staff members
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Alpha
- Receive and implement feedback from experienced educational coaches
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California teaching credential- Single Subject Science: Biological Sciences
- Subject matter expertise and strong classroom management skills
You stand out by being...
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities.
- Focused on Growth: You exhibit a strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to receive and implement feedback quickly.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute tasks.
- Experienced: You have 2+ years of experience teaching high school, previous experience teaching in a low income community a plus.
- Bilingual: Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.