We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Education Specialist, Alpha Instructional Team
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with students and helping to change their educational trajectories? Are you a strong collaborator who is excited by the opportunity to support a team in executing their goals?
If so, a position as an Education Specialist at Alpha may be the role you’re looking for. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to uphold high expectations, foster and facilitate the intellectual and social development of our scholars. Alpha’s approach to instruction is with patience and creativity, using activities and instructional methods that will motivate scholars. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and our students, families, and teachers are focused on creating in our scholars self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career.
What you’ll do…
- Embody the mission, vision and core beliefs of the school
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, structures, and rules
- Execute all day-to-day responsibilities:
- Provide specialized academic instruction to identified students with disabilities who meet eligibility criteria established by federal and state law
- Provide push in, pull out, and/or consultative specialized academic instruction for students with disabilities
- Serve as an inclusion classroom teacher, which includes creating lesson plans based on provided unit plans, planning assessments, grading and maintaining a gradebook, and supporting a small classroom of learners
- Provide legally defensible implementation of services, supports, accommodations, and modifications as provided by students’ IEPs
- Demonstrate knowledge of and compliance with special education laws, as well as school policies and procedures
- Collaborate with general education teachers to ensure consistent implementation of IEPs across all school environments
- Prepare daily lesson plans utilizing a variety of instructional strategies and techniques based on individual need
- Utilize assessment results, both formal and informal, to develop legally defensible and data-driven IEPs
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Maximize personalized learning by creatively leveraging blended learning resources and adjusting teaching practices to ensure high student achievement
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Engage in professional development opportunities
- Manage behaviors within resource room, and support school community in managing larger-scale Tier 2 behavior interventions
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Collect data on and monitor individual student performance, adjusting instruction and supports as necessary to ensure progress toward IEP goals
- Use data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards
You stand out by being...
- Relationship Oriented: You build strong relationships with scholars and adults alike, and you successfully strike a balance of nurturing and firm in your communication with scholars
- Focused on Growth: You exhibit a strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to implement feedback quickly
- Collaborative: You are especially team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute on tasks
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities.
- Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid California Teaching or Education Specialist Credential (Special Education - Mild to Moderate), intern credential or equivalent
- NCLB Compliant
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com