We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Special Education Paraprofessional, SpEd Team
Do you believe that all scholars can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about working with scholars with disabilities and helping to change their educational trajectories? Are you a strong collaborator who is excited by the opportunity to support a team in executing their goals?
If so, a position as a paraprofessional at Alpha may be the role you’re looking for. We are looking for enthusiastic educators to provide targeted academic and behavioral support for scholars receiving special education services. You will work with education specialists to ensure that scholars receive consistent, well-planned, and individualized interventions in order to meet their IEP goals. Alpha is fiercely entrepreneurial and our scholars, families, and teachers are focused on creating in our scholars self-reliant leaders who will achieve success in their school, college, and career.
What you’ll do…
- Embody the mission, vision and core beliefs of the school
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, structures, and rules
- Execute all day-to-day job responsibilities:
- Provide individual and/or small-group academic support in the general education classroom
- Collaborate with special education and general education teachers to optimize push-in services for scholars with special needs
- Plan and deliver lessons to individuals and small groups of scholars that target remedial skill needs, IEP goals, and general education content
- Organize learning materials and resources
- Support class teams in implementing individual and classroom behavior structures
- Provide in-the-moment behavior support and coaching
- Collaborate with special education teachers, Director of Special Education, general education teachers, and families regarding student needs and progress
- Respond to crisis behavior as necessary
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate notes and complete paperwork, as required
- Collect data around progress on IEP goals, and assist the education specialist in the completion of quarterly progress reports
- Help to maintain a clean and organized learning environment
You stand out by being...
- Relationship Oriented: You build strong relationships with scholars and adults alike, and you successfully strike a balance of nurturing and firm in your communication with scholars
- Focused on Growth: You exhibit a strong commitment not only to our scholars, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to implement feedback quickly
- Collaborative: You are especially team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute on tasks
- Patient: You believe in the long-term growth of scholars with disabilities, and are patient, compassionate, and flexible as you help them achieve their potential
- Committed: You are committed to working with scholars with disabilities in traditionally underserved communities
- Minimum qualifications:
- AA Degree, HS Diploma or GED, required (BA preferred)
- OR completion of two years of college, not a degree but 72 quarter hours or 48 semester hours of college credit
- OR a passing score on the Praxis Parapro Assessment Test
- Associate’s Degree (BA preferred), or equivalent NCLB qualifications
- Flexible and patient, with a deep commitment to scholars with special needs
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our scholars and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com