We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Alumni Advisor, College Success Team
Are you ready to have a bigger impact in your professional life? Are you inspired by the challenge of closing the college degree gap in the communities that need us most? Are you ready to make sure that every Alpha alumni is successful on their journey through college?
If so, Alpha’s new Alumni Advisor role may be just what you’re looking for. As our first ever alumni counselor, you will work closely with Alpha’s College Counselors and High School team to develop a model for what Alpha’s support will look like for our students in college. Alpha is at a critical moment – still fiercely entrepreneurial while in the process of building the structures and systems that will support further scaling. You will play a major role in this work, and in Alpha’s goal of having 75% of alumni graduate from college.
What you’ll do…
- Develop our alumni support model, figuring out how we best support Alpha alumni as they head to college.
- Manage a caseload of approximately 90 college students in the first year - and up to 160 students in the following years - advising them on college persistence, transfers to 4-year colleges, college completion, and career readiness.
- Own a database of student data (grades, financial aid, scholarships, conversation notes) to understand how our students are doing, their barriers to success, and the support they need to graduate from college.
- Support alumni with scholarships, summer opportunity selection, and matriculation plans for any students not in college.
You are good at…
- Building Relationships with Students: Gaining the trust and confidence of students with widely ranging academic skills and habits
- Teaching Problem Solving and Grit: Teaching students to overcome academic, financial, and other obstacles to college completion, so that at the end of two years working with you they can handle key challenges on their own
- Using Data to Decide Who and How to Support: We will choose key data points together that we believe are lead indicators of student success in college - you will be responsible for student progress on these data points.
You really set yourself apart by being…
- A thoughtful communicator who easily gains the trust and confidence of students and families, with excellent judgement and discretion
- Able to maintain a positive, nurturing presence even amidst challenges
- A coach with exceptional skills at developing others, win an understanding of the power of one-on-one conversations
- An extrovert who enjoys spending most of your day working with and talking to students about the challenges they experience as first-generation low-income college students
- Excellent at using data to understand challenges, set goals, and adjust plans to meet goals
- Genuine, humble, and passionate
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org