POSITION: School Counselor (Immediate Opening)
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
- Alpha Special Education Team, School Leaders, Teachers, Students
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
The School Counselor will provide support to the instructional process with specific responsibility for managing the placement of assigned students; providing information and recommendations to parents and students; and assisting in the development of goals and plans for achievement of all students within the Alpha Public Schools network of schools.
The ideal candidate displays characteristics of a strong sales person, knows how to effectively communicate with others, has the entrepreneurial spirit required for a startup, and deeply believes in the no excuses/high expectations world of charter success. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of successful applicants.
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Compassionate and empathetic; positive even when facing challenging circumstances
- Eager to develop systems and policies for an emerging department
- Experience in school-based counseling settings a plus
- Experience as being a part of an IEP team a plus
- Bachelors degree, required
- Masters in Counseling related field, LMFT preferred
- 4+ years of professional experience
- Fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- Collaborate with the Director of Special Education to build out Alpha’s mental health program
- Provide guidance to school staff around screening students for inclusion in mental health interventions
- Collaborate with the Director of Special Education and school leaders to develop systems and policies around qualifying students for mental health support
- Develop and execute group counseling sessions focusing on a number of different areas (e.g. social skills, emotional regulation, trauma, etc.)
- Manage and hold individual counseling sessions with a variety of students as necessary across all Alpha schools
- Complete required paperwork and reporting as necessary
- Collaborate with students’ IEP teams to write social/emotional present levels and to develop and track progress on counseling goals
- Conduct trainings for school staff around supporting the social/emotional needs of students
- Pull students for as needed ‘check ins,’ and provide guidance and recommendation to school staff regarding student needs moving forward (e.g. check in/check out systems, more consistent counseling, referrals to outside agencies, etc.)
- Support school staff in addressing mental-health related behavioral challenges
- Collaborate with school staff and community agencies to support families in accessing outside mental health services
- Conduct risk assessments for students in crisis, and manage crisis referrals to emergency agencies as necessary
- Serve as a thought partner for other staff regarding mental health and social/emotional development
- Develop and facilitate staff trainings as needed
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit the following at https://boards.greenhouse.io/alphapublicschools/jobs/192717:
- A cover letter
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.