POSITION: Photography Teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal
- Alpha School Leaders, Teachers, Students
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities with an education that effectively develops the academic skills and character competencies to overcome the achievement gap and graduate from college.
Alpha is looking for a high school photography teacher to implement and deliver an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students. The photography teacher will facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Valid Teaching Credential (if applicable)
- Familiar with the technical processes of digital photography
- Skilled in critiquing photography both technically and conceptually, able to challenge and encourage students to become better artists through critique and conversation
- Teach consistently high quality lessons and ensure a high quality learning environment
- Be a role model for students, inspiring them to be actively interested in Photography
- Prioritize and manage time effectively, ensuring continued professional development in line with the role
- Teach students how to produce quality photographs through the proper use of equipment and printing techniques
- Prepare the classroom, develop lesson plans, teach curriculum aligned with subject area, and grade students on their performance
- Ability to develop creative class projects and work independently as an instructor
- Photography instructors must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of camera use. This means that they must practice their own photography and display the pictures that show various techniques and tips that teach their students.
Apply to work at Alpha:
- Cover Letter
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.