POSITION: AVID Tutor
REPORTS TO: Assistant Principal, Emma Karpowicz
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Alpha is seeking volunteer tutors to support our students in a college prep course called AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination). Students in this course will develop strategies to make them successful for college. As a tutor, you will support our students in different content areas depending on their specific needs.
AVID tutors have the ability to guide students toward academic and personal excellence that will reach far beyond their high school years. As an AVID tutor, you are an active participant in the learning, growth, and personal development of students. Most importantly, you have been selected for this position because of the faith of the AVID coordinator in your ability to make a positive contribution.
As a tutor, you are responsible for and are making a commitment to:
- Conduct tutorial sessions that underscore the principle of collaborative learning and the practice of students teaching other students through discussion of class and text notes.
- Determine from student tutorial worksheets, notes, and discussions the concepts that need to be the focus of tutorial sessions.
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, read arounds, revision, and editing.
- Allow students to shoulder the responsibility for their own active learning while guiding them with strategies that they will become accustomed to using independently.
- Reinforce the idea that learning extends far beyond mere studying to form the basis for long term accomplishments.
- Assist students in any subject area, by being familiar with students’ textbooks and materials and AVID classroom resources.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, and learning logs.
- Assist in teaching study skills and other aspects of college preparation.
- Take responsibility for the tone and atmosphere of the AVID classroom.
- Acknowledge the individuality of all AVID students and work to develop their academic and personal pride.
- Assist the AVID coordinator as requested, such as contacting teachers regarding course outlines and assignment schedules, helping with field trips, contacting parents, etc.
- Assist in developing a resource file of enrichment materials for use in tutorial sessions.
- Communicate regularly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow.
- AVID tutors should be excellent role models who believe that the AVID students will succeed, too.
- They should be enrolled at colleges or universities.
- Tutors should represent balanced academic backgrounds: liberal arts majors, science or mathematics majors.
- The tutors should be people who will work in a supportive manner with secondary students; they are advocates of students, yet ultimately they are responsible to the teacher.
- Must be able to meet regularly to discuss student progress and to confer with the teacher about future tutorial plans.
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on staff capacity and organizational need.
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit the following via this link:
Email your questions to email@example.com:
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why you want to be a tutor for our AVID students
- Highlights previous experiences that will make you successful at working with high school students
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.