POSITION: Associate Teacher
REPORTS TO: Assistant Principal
- Alpha Public Schools students and families
- Alpha school leaders, office manager, teachers, education specialists and network staff
LOCATION: Alpha Public Schools, San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose.
Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Alpha is seeking entrepreneurial staff members who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. We have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. We possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. We are hardworking, punctual, urgent, energetic, and embrace a spirit of self-reflection with a constant desire to improve. Finally, we hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of school staff to ensure that success.
- Implement curricula aligned to Common Core standards
- Provide coverage inside and outside of the classroom for teachers who are absent on a short- or long-term basis
- Prepare to step in as the full-time teacher of record should a Teacher resign or move mid-year
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Reflect regularly on teaching practice and act on constructive feedback
- Work with small groups of students and provide remediation support, as needed
- Support with arrival, dismissal and lunch duty, as needed
- Ensure a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- EXPERIENCED: Alpha teachers typically have 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban public school and Alpha teachers must hold a valid teaching credential.
- DRIVEN: Alpha teachers have a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms. They have a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha teachers are risk takers who innovate in the classroom to best suit the needs of students. They learn from data, and act on constructive criticism to improve their craft.
- COLLABORATIVE: Alpha teachers engage in regular problem solving and curriculum construction in grade level teams. They demonstrate strong communication and relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha teachers adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Please provide Unofficial Transcript(s)
- Former teaching or student teaching experience a plus, but not required
- Valid California Substitute Teaching Permit, required
- California Multiple or Single Subject Teacher Credential, a plus but not required
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
What Alpha Offers
As a staff member, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a startup charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization.
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical benefits
- Pathways to leadership and specialization
- Frequent instructional coaching and administrative support
- A safe, engaging, dynamic work environment
- Technology needs, including a laptop computer, email, and class web page
- A remarkably supportive staff and mission-driven organization
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit your application online
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why do you want to work at Alpha Public Schools? (250 words or less)
- Describe an experience that required you to be flexible and adaptable. (250 words or less)
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.