We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Assistant Principal, Alpha Instructional Team
Do you believe that all students can achieve academic success? Are you passionate about leading adults, and inspiring and equipping them to change students’ educational trajectories? Are you a strong communicator and collaborator who is excited by the opportunity to lead a team in executing their goals?
If so, a position as an Assistant Principal at Alpha may be the role you’re looking for. We are looking for enthusiastic leaders to uphold high expectations for students and adults, and to provide a balance of support and accountability for all staff. You would be responsible for creating and sustaining a learning environment that supports excellent, high quality instruction and a joyful, achievement-oriented culture.
What you’ll do…
- Embody the mission, vision, and core beliefs of the school and the Alpha Public Schools network
- Execute all day-to-day leadership responsibilities:
- Support the principal in achieving ambitious school-wide vision and goals aligned to the Alpha network vision, goals, and priorities, leading students to master rigorous academic content that prepares them for college
- Ensure high-rigor, high-engagement instruction in all classrooms
- Execute on school-wide behavior management systems, expectations, and incentives across the school site and refine as necessary
- Promote Alpha’s staff culture, mindsets, and values by managing self and others in a manner that creates a healthy, high-achieving environment where staff feel challenged, supported, and valued
- Plan and lead teacher professional development sessions
- Formally supervise, observe, and evaluate school staff
- Use data-driven cycles with leaders and teachers to analyze academic and culture data, problem solve, and generate next steps and accountability systems
- Support the needs of diverse learners, by ensuring differentiated instruction in classrooms, appropriate tiered interventions, and attending IEP and 504 meetings
- Create opportunities for meaningful parent involvement and champion parent engagement
You stand out by exemplifying Alpha’s Leadership Principles:
- One Team. One Purpose: We have a clear North Star, and we all understand our responsibilities in helping Alpha achieve its mission. We feel a sense of belonging to the team, are committed to our work, and recognize and celebrate that we are part of something greater than ourselves.
- Be the Light: We look for opportunities to be uplifting in challenging situations, to create and inspire joy among teammates, and to respect and acknowledge the efforts of others.
- Trust = Character + Competence: We are always looking for opportunities to earn, build, maintain, and (when necessary) rebuild trust. We try always to do what is right, lead with humility and vulnerability; speak candidly; listen attentively; express gratitude; treat others respectfully; and employ social practices that advance the interests of others, such as empathy, collaboration, open mindedness, fairness, and generosity. We demonstrate competence by doing what we’ve promised to do.
- Keep Small Problems Small: We approach conflict promptly and with the best intent, to build shared understanding, learning, and trust. We always apologize when we’ve made a mistake.
- Feedback is the Breakfast of Champions: We demonstrate a developmental mindset by enthusiastically and positively asking for and receiving feedback and support, urgently working to improve, and giving specific and actionable feedback to others.
- Expect and Accept Only the Best: We consistently hold high standards, and we relentlessly pursue excellence. We care deeply about the outcomes that occur on our watch, about achieving our goals, and about keeping our promises, and so we find a way, or we make a way.
- Debate, Decide, and Do: When a decision is being made, we look at data, solicit opposing views, collaborate with teammates, and challenge ideas when we disagree. Whenever possible, we seek meaningful input from those who will be responsible for implementing decisions and those who will be affected by them. Once a decision is made, everyone commits wholly and builds alignment and commitment to the chosen path.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid California teaching and/or administrative services credential
- Instructional coaching experience
- Performance management experience highly desired
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org