POSITION: Academic Paraprofessional
Alpha Public Schools
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
The academic paraprofessional will provide individual and small group academic support to identified students. He or she will be responsible for planning lessons around IEP and classroom academic goals, and for delivering these lessons in the special education classroom, or within the general education environment. He or she is optimistic, positive, and relentlessly pursues results. Additionally, a strong candidate is empathetic, and believes that all students can achieve.
DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Compassionate and empathetic; positive even when facing challenging circumstances
- Be capable of physically assisting students with specials needs as required (positioning, lifting, transferring, restraining, etc.)
- Communicates effectively with others, including giving and receiving feedback on the quality of services
- Able to read situational risk and react accordingly; able to effectively make judgment calls in order to minimize risk of staff or student injury
- Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work involved
- Fluent in Spanish and/or American Sign Language, a plus
- Experience with behavior management, required
- AA Degree, HS Diploma or GED, required
This job description describes in general terms the normal duties that the paraprofessional will be expected to undertake. However, the job or duties described may vary or be amended from time to time without changing the level of responsibility associated with the job.
- Provide individual and/or small group academic support in the general education classroom
- Collaborate with special education and general education teachers to optimize push-in services for students with special needs
- Plan and deliver lessons to individuals and small groups of students that target remedial skill needs, IEP goals, and general education content
- Create and manage work for the student to complete (with support from special education teachers)
- Provide in-the- moment behavior support and coaching
- Support the general education teacher in the classroom with lesson delivery and student support
- Collaborate with special education teachers, Director of Special Education, general education teachers, and families regarding student needs and progress
- Respond to crisis behavior as necessary
- Provide sensory input as needed and requested
- Maintain up to date and accurate notes and complete paperwork, as required
- Collect data around progress on IEP goals, and assist the education specialist in the completion of quarterly progress reports
- Help to maintain a clean and organized learning environment
Please submit the following documents
- A cover letter
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.