As the Payroll Specialist, you will be part of the People (HR & Administration) team focused on supporting our payroll processes. You will be responsible for managing all facets of the payroll process including working directly with AWL Leadership as well as our Finance and our People teams. The People team are the gears that keep the AWL machine on track. Our team strives to catch glitches before they become problems and we delight in being more proactive than reactive.
AWL (All Web Leads, Inc.) is one of the most successful customer acquisition marketing companies in the US. Simply put, we help our customers acquire customers. Today, we do this for the US insurance industry. Our amazing team of over 1,000 talented and successful professionals uses Internet marketing to turn consumer interest in insurance products into policy sales for the world’s largest insurance carriers and more than 30,000 of their agents. We are Austin-born and our growth from a 2-person startup in 2005 to a highly profitable business has been remarkable. We are a tight-knit team with a fast paced, energetic, and entrepreneurial company culture that has been ranked a Best Place to Work in Austin for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021. We provide competitive pay, outstanding benefits, and a fabulous, fun, collaborative environment that allows our people to be their best.
- Focus on data, accuracy and integrity doing whatever it takes to execute payroll processes efficiently allowing AWL team members to be successful.
- Are ridiculously organized and shudder at the thought of messy drawers, folders, and closets. Your email inbox has folders, sub-folders, rules and color coding.
- Are confident, resourceful, and not easily defeated. Curve balls and new data does not frighten you; you embrace the opportunity to try and succeed in new areas. You are comfortable making decisions and tracking progress.
- Have integrity and are not afraid to recognize and admit your mistakes. You use them as an opportunity to grow and do better in the future.
- Project a committed attitude with your willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Have keen emotional intelligence and steadfast composure.
- Have a desire to protect our company values and see them reflected in every decision and practice.
- Seek out solutions for your own team and the company.
- Are eager to learn new things and keep up with the ever-changing world of employment law.
- Excel at time management and understand the importance of deadlines and due dates.
- Ability to work in-office in our hybrid model (2-3 days per week in-office).
- Primary contact for employee questions related to payroll.
- Processes payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, reimbursements, incentive pay, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Issues, or reissues, physical or replacement checks or direct deposits due to payroll errors or final discharge.
- Send commission report updates monthly.
- Coordinate benefit recovery in relation to leaves of absence.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Provide support to the People and AWL Leadership teams as required while exercising discretion due to access of highly sensitive and confidential information.
To be successful on the People Team at AWL, you need
- 2+ years of payroll experience.
- Experience working with payroll software (ADP as a PEO).
- Extensive knowledge of payroll functions including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- To have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and be comfortable communicating over several platforms in a clear and concise manner.
- Proven skills in applications and programs, particularly Microsoft Office, including Excel (VLOOKUP, Pivot table, Index Match, Conditional formatting, Concatenate, Countif, Trim), Power Point, Adobe Pro and Outlook.
- Comprehensive understanding payroll and business practices and their impact to employees and HR.
- The desire to want to self-solve solutions and seek out answers independently.
- Enthusiasm to work with minimal direction and desire to improve processes and experiences for the AWL team and our candidates.
- Ability to remain organized and maintain accuracy with a meticulous attention to detail in an ever-changing environment.
- Strong time management skills and proven ability to multi-task, efficiently prioritize tasks, and drive projects to completion.
- Willingness to pitch in and assist with other projects and share responsibilities, as needs arise.
- Knowledge of multi-state payroll processing is a +, as we will likely add increase recruiting efforts during 2022.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week.