mmhmm is a video communication company helping people instantly produce live and recorded video presentations that are entertaining to watch and easy to make. Founded in 2020, we believe being better at video is a crucial skill for any successful modern business. As a fully distributed, global team ourselves, we’re on a mission to empower people who work on video (that is, nearly everyone) to create more sustainable and joyful ways to work, teach, and collaborate. Our growing team includes founding members of Evernote, and we’re backed by Sequoia Capital and other leading investors. mmhmm is part of All Turtles, a studio sharing resources to help multiple brands build meaningful products people love.
As a Staff Backend Engineer at mmhmm, you’ll work as part of a small cross-functional team of engineers and designers to create the next generation of features for our product. While your day-to-day responsibilities will focus on development of backend APIs, systems and infrastructure, you’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to the product definition and design and the overall system architecture.
You’re the right person for this job if you love to work on small, autonomous teams, take pride in the quality of both the code and products that you create, crave variety in your work, and are comfortable working in any part of the server-side stack.
YOU'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Driving design and development of the mmhmm service, with an eye toward the security and privacy of user data and the scalability of the system.
- Building both quick prototypes and robust production systems.
- Planning and coordinating with application engineers who will be consuming your services.
- Helping to set the technical direction for the service backend, including choosing new components of the tech stack, evolving the service architecture and defining client-facing APIs.
- Deployment, operations and monitoring of your services.
IDEALLY, YOU'LL HAVE:
- Spent at least 10 years in professional software engineering roles.
- Built complex, cloud-native product backends from scratch.
- Strong backend engineering skills, including API and database design, security, scalability and data engineering.
- Deep experience with AWS.
- Experience programming in Go, or an eagerness to learn.
- Experience with both relational and NoSQL databases.
- Exceptional communication skills, with an aptitude to convey clear thoughts and ideas.
- A track record of delivering on ambitious goals.
- Worked in a startup environment. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Experience with streaming video. This is a plus, but not required.
The Staff Backend Engineer is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the CTO. This role is a remote position, and can be based in any location. Since our distributed team works primarily across US time zones, US-based applicants are preferred. We offer comprehensive insurance benefits to our employees and their qualifying dependents, in addition to flexible vacation, a 401(k), parental leave, and a suite of optional benefits and perks programs.
All Turtles and mmhmm are committed to creating and fostering a diverse team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations to all applicants throughout the application process.